13" MBA 2012 vs 13" MBA 2011 for video editing/photoshop

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by varunkrish, Jul 17, 2012.

1. varunkrish macrumors member

I have a 2011 13 inch MBA with a 1.8GHz i7 and 256GB SSD and 4GB of RAM

Thinking of upgrading it to the 2012 MBA with 8GB of RAM and 2.0GHz CPU

Any one here who has made the move from the 13 inch 2011 top end end MBA to the 13inch 2012 top end MBA ?

Will there be a huge gain in performance while dealing with video editing (final cut pro x , imovie ) and photoshop ?

In two minds whether to push the purchase to next year when obviously more awesome MBA's hit the market

2. mober macrumors newbie

Your current machine is already way awesome! even though the 2012 model would provide significant improvement, it would still not justify to upgrade it now, because, as already said, your machine is way awesome!

Just let it do it's job for an other year and save the money for next year ;)

3. carlos00 macrumors newbie

The 2012 MBA has USB 3.0 which will give you faster transfer speeds to and from an external HD. I found that more use than the speed bump in the processer

4. MacBird macrumors 6502

It would be better but I am not sure if the performance difference is worth getting a new one. If you do, 8 GB would work much better if you use Photoshop.

5. varunkrish thread starter macrumors member

Yes , i work with a lot data and USB 3.0 will be useful . But may be I should pick up a cheap thunderbolt drive for now for this machine

----------

don't worry about photoshop , won't final cut use the extra RAM more efficiently ?

----------

Haha or probably save up for a retina macbook pro !