13" MBA and Windows 7 (via Parallels 6)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by keithos27, Oct 29, 2010.

1. keithos27 macrumors regular

Hi everyone. I just bought the new MBA 13" (256 GB Flash, 4 GB RAM, 2GHz processor). I'm super excited and waiting impatiently for it to arrive next week.

In the meantime I've gone ahead and bought Parallels 6 and Windows 7 Home Premium. I've never used Windows on the Mac (the MBA will be solely for Windows for work... I have a Mac Pro that is my main Mac box). Are there some tutorials or tips/tricks/pitfalls I should be aware of?

Any problems using Parallels 6 and Windows 7 on the new MacBook Airs?

Thanks,
    Keith

2. elwood58 macrumors member

If MBA is soley for Windows, why not make it a Bootcamp Machine? Windows 7 via Bootcamp is excellent.

3. stooley macrumors regular

My Video was quirky on the 11.6" running in full screen on windows 7. It worked fine in full screen on an external monitor, but if I moved it back to the MBA display and go full screen, It would distort and I would have to exit full screen to use the VM. Windows XP did not have the same issue. messing with the video settings in parallels did not seem to correct it either. I had to resort to just using bootcamp for now.......probably a small tweak to the parallel tools app will fix it. Now I play the waiting game ha ha. Gotta love new products ;)

Other than that, it seemed to run fine on my maxed 11.6, so the 13 maxed should be great.

4. keithos27 thread starter macrumors regular

Good question! I just figured it would be easier to use Mac OS X and Windows at the same time. Is there really any disadvantage? I'll be using this machine for Windows 7, Office 2010, and some internet usage. Nothing really more than that... Maybe some MS Project and MS Visio as well, that's really it.

5. keithos27 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response!

6. JimKirk macrumors 6502

It runs fine.

As long as you get the 4GB model.

7. lindorz macrumors newbie

Anyone try this out with Visual Studio 2010 installed as well?

8. chiamac macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I received the maxed out 13" a couple days ago. I installed Parallels trial and Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. I use Office 2011 on it and it runs beautifully. This is my very first Mac, my first time using virtual machines and I love it. For my needs I don't need Bootcamp taking up a partition; Parallels is perfect for the occasional times I need Windows - I don't notice any lag. This is my primary computer and the entire machine and experience is a dream. It's my best computing experience to date, doing work on it is heavenly. You will love it.

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Here are two scenarios.

1) Running both OS X & Windows via Virtualization requires you allocate half the resources to each OS. IE: half the ram, CPU, etc goes to each OS.

2) Using Bootcamp dedicates all the resources to the OS you boot into.

If you choose #1, your computer will run sluggishly.

I run OS X & WIN 7 via Virtual Box on my MBP with 8GB RAM & it's fast & stable. Any less ram and it'll crawl.

10. lindorz macrumors newbie

I agree with you completely about the 8 GB RAM upgrade required to run Windows 7 via virtualization (in my case I am using Parallels 5) and it runs VERY smoothly.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

That's great to hear. I just ordered a "maxed out" 13" MB Air to replace my current MB Air (November 2008 SSD model). While Boot Camp worked well enough on the old Air, Parallels was slow with the limited RAM available, so I'm glad you are liking the experience on the new model.