13" MBA maxed or 15" MBP. Same price, which one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockyroad55, Nov 7, 2010.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm a student and like to do the basic needs, such as Word, PPT, Excel, some games like Left for Dead 2, and a lot of web browsing and watching movies. I have no idea which to keep. I already have the 15" but keep thinking about the MBA!

I also like to think in the long run which will last me better and longer. I can't see myself do much more gaming since I have a PS3 and my current apps will stay the same, which means no video or pic editing and no dual boots.

2. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

don't be impulsive: the 15" is the perfect machine for you. you're gonna love it!

3. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

4. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

if you do any gaming at all, stay with the 15"

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Normally I'd say go 15" MBP if this is your only computer.

But I've got both a maxed 15" MBP (well, as of last spring it was top end) and a maxed 13" MBA.

Based on what you said your needs were, and the fact that you are a college student, I'm assuming portability is going to be a big concern for you.

I'd have to somewhat agree with the poster above me. If gaming is a big deal for you, go for the 15" MBP. If its not, then the 13" MBA is a great machine. I've found it runs Steam games just fine...DOD:S and L4D/L4D2. It gets a little hiccuppy in LF2D when there's a bunch happening on the screen but its livable.

Honestly, I'd go with the 13" MBA as your primary PC and then save up and build yourself a decent Windows desktop rig for gaming.

6. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Based on what you've stated, I say get the maxed MBA.

7. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The backlit keys of the 15" and, of course, the larger screen is making me stay with it. Portability is a concern but my new incase backpack makes it feel like nothing. I'm also thinking that down the line, the 15 is a better computer for its upgradeability since I put a 180GB SSD in it already.

8. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

the 15" weights nothing.. i carried around a 17" powerbook. I don't get people and weight of these computers.

9. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Keep your 15". By now, you should know that the 15" is very portable. The only real question would be is the footprint too big?

Also, come on, you're a college student. At present, you have a certain skill set. Hopefully, and probably, along with your needs,your skill set will increase. So, now, and in the future, the 15" should serve you better.