13" MBA or 13"/15" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rel422, Mar 23, 2015.

1. rel422 macrumors newbie

Currently I have a late 2008 15" MBP which I love, but I just started Intro to Java (pre-req for my masters degree I will be starting in the fall) and it is struggling just to handle the little bit of programming I'm doing in NetBeans. I'm guessing that I will have to put additional programs on my computer and potentially an ERP system (though SAP claims to only need a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 1 GB of ram I find that semi hard to believe). I had my heart set on one of the new gold MBs but I think I'm starting to come to reality that that computer is definitely not right for me.

I'm thinking 8GB of ram and 256 flash storage on either machine (we have a 1TB Mac Mini and I don't really store anything on my current MBP anyways). Is there any reason that I would need 16GB? I'm not going to be doing any gaming and after my degree is done I don't see myself doing any heavy lifting on my personal computer.

So here's what I view as the only real difference between the two machines... I would do the "3.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz" for the MBP or the "2.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz" for the MBA. I know nothing about this whole "Turbo Boost" business, but looking at that alone they don't look that different? I'm really happy with the 2.6GHz that our Mac Mini (current model) has so would the 2.2GHz feel like a significant downgrade?

Any help is much appreciated :)

2. fedeARTPOP macrumors newbie

just a question....can you tell me your "late 2008 15" MBP" specs? and how is working now? like still working fast/good? or do you note is an old machine? :eek:

cause im thinking of buying the high end 2015 rMBP 15" and wanna know if the investment will be worthy :p

thanks! :)

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You don't need either the RAM upgrade or the CPU upgrade on the rMBP, any stock model will be absolutely fine for your use case, just choose by SSD size.

As for the Air the i7 may be worth it there but once you start addding RAM and SSD etc it'll cost you the same near as dammit to the mid range rMBP.

Basically the retina is what it's all about and that is always worth it. It is much better for everything but especially text sharpness.

The 13 inch rMBP is the best small, light, laptop with the best compromise between power, battery life, screen and port selection on any laptop available in my opinion. I'd definitely go for that.

4. rel422 thread starter macrumors newbie

fedeARTPOP - I'm not really sure how helpful I can be to you. I love my machine very very much but I'm sure a brand new one is a lot nicer/faster/better technology. I've had my ups and downs, and if I felt okay with dropping $2000 right now I would probably just get another 15" machine.

Samuelsan2001- Thanks for your advice. I'm not sure how I feel about getting a refurbished computer (I come from a family who is completely anti anything refurbished) and I kind of feel like I want to get the latest model possible since I hope to keep it for so long. I'm okay with the $1500 range (which seems to be what I would need for the MBA). I guess if I don't need the extra RAM or CPU on the MBP that would pretty much put the MBA as a more expensive option...I'm really trying to talk myself into going with performance over cuteness.

5. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Apple's refurbished products often undergo even stricter quality checks than brand new products, and they have the same one-year warranty and eligibility for AppleCare. I'm sure there are many, many users who can attest to this.

6. unregbaron macrumors regular

Yes agree - bought a macbook, you wouldn't know it was refurbed at all.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This

The only difference is a plain box and if you really want one they are $10-20 on ebay.

As for performance between 2014 and 2015 rMBP the difference is not that great, 6-7% CPU, The GPU is not showing too much difference either (a bit of a disappointment there). The only thing I can see that makes it any better for your use (especially as you considered the Air) is the force touchpad.

You can save quite a bit...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-26ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

or even this is a great price

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macbook-pro-26ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5