13" MBA or 13" MBP with SSD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nachos, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Nachos macrumors member

Nachos

Hi People

I know there has been a lot of MBA vs. MBP Threads but coulnd't really find anyone that fiits my problem.

I’m starting University soon and want to buy my first Macbook. I already have had a lot of iPhones and love them.

I mainly use text programs, Photoshop web browsing and a little webpage designing. My choices are between:

MBA 13" 1440x900 - 2.13 GHz Duo2Core - 4GB Ram - 256 GB SSD

MBP 13" 1200x800 - 2.4 GHz Duo2Core - 4GB Ram - 128 GB SSD

The price is not a problem.

The MBA looks really nice, but is the size and weight worth not being able to upgrade it?
    Is it powerful enough to do the fore mentioned tasks without overheating?
    Is it powerful enough for fast app switching with is really important for me?

I would really like to hear from someone who has tried both, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The only thing you lose is the ability to upgrade the RAM. I would say 4GB is plenty, especially with an SSD (when running out of RAM, it's paging out to the SSD which is still fairly fast compared to HDs)

MBA is the coolest computer I've ever used. It literally doesn't heat AT ALL. It can sit on my lap and it doesn't even feel warm. My sister's MacBook feels MUCH hotter even in basic use. Maybe if you max out the CPU it will heat more but for your tasks it will be perfect as they aren't very CPU intensive.

RAM and SSD take care of that. So yes.

The extra pixels in MBA will also help.

3. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

MacBook Air should definitely fill your needs. And like others have said, as long as you have 4GB of RAM you'll be fine my friend. If I were you I'd definitely go MacBook Air, it sounds like it'll better suit your needs :)

4. Nachos thread starter macrumors member

Nachos

Thanks a lot, it really helps getting others oppinion :D im definately leaning towarsds the MBA now.

5. Wang Foolio macrumors regular

Not cooking your sperm is a good choice. Glad you have thought to ask about that :)

Recent fertility studies have actually shown that using a hot laptop with your knees together (even for well under an hour!) can measurably mess with your sperm count for weeks/months after use. Probably not a huge issue unless you're trying to start a family right at this exact moment, but it's one of those things that makes you stop and think!!

6. Nachos thread starter macrumors member

Nachos

Indeed it is! Plus it’s really annoying to sit with a hot computer in your lap.