13" MBA PC alternative

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by michaelsviews, Apr 25, 2014.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Take a 13" MBA maxed out and go the PC way and what would your choice's be?

2. simsaladimbamba

Doesn't that depend on one computational's needs? If so, a maxed out non-Apple consumer computer is probably better due to the buyer seeming to be only looking at the CPU and GPU speed and not taking anything else into account.
    While Apple computers cost more, similar specced computers cost around the same, if one looks at everything and not just CPU and GPU.

3. tayh macrumors member

13" MBA with Windows ( bootcamp ) :rolleyes:, just kidding.

Lenovo Thinkpad X1

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

If I were forced to swap my 13" MBA for a windows PC, I'd opt for an HP Ultrabook.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

In addition to my MBPr I also have a fully specced out Dell Latitude E7240 UltraBook. With exception of the trackpad and non-retina display it is a very nice computer.

6. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Probably the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus. But the Asus Zenbook Infinity, the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 2 Pro and the Sony Vaio Pro are strong contenders as well.

7. kelon111 macrumors 6502

Check out the Fujitsu LifeBook U904 and see if it interests you.

8. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

9. watermelonbook macrumors regular

I second that....

not to mention the fact that the HP Ultrabook cost around the same as a MBA.

10. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

As a past owner of HP laptops may I simple say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Phew that felt better...I would buy a ultrabook by Asus.

11. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Look at it this way. The MacBook Air has all-day battery life, the best trackpad around, and great portability. If you wanted me to find a PC with those features, even for over 2000$, I wouldn't be able to do it.

Not that these are the "best" features, but some people really enjoy them. If you absolutely love those options, then buy a MBA. If you are a consumer, it is the number one laptop I would recommend. If you are doing any heavy work, even the maxed out version is not great for some tasks, and another system would probably be better. There are many PCs that I could recommend, just because you set such a high cost for the system.

This is like asking your friend "Take a Camry maxed out everything, for 50,000$ find me a better car." A few people out there would buy that 50,000$ Camry because they love the baseline car so much. There are so many other cars out there though.

The MBA is a great computer, but maybe instead of asking us to compare against a computer that very few people would buy, compare to a baseline model...

12. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you all for the reply's , what it boils down to is a computer that would be used for the every day things, don't think I need to explain what those are, but some web development in an IDE which has the requirements of 4 gig. So when it comes to the cost it's kinda a concern. RMBP is nice but trying to keep the price down

13. pedromcm.pm macrumors 6502

Vaio? Were you sleeping the last few months?

14. phositadc macrumors 6502

Not in the market for a laptop but out of curiosity, what's wrong with the VAIO?

15. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

No, but it is still being sold.

----------

Sony is selling its Vaio division to a Japanese investment fund. The availability of Vaio laptops will be restricted to Japan only, and the product will not be sold worldwide anymore.

However, the sale is yet to be concluded and is expected to be done in July. Until then, nothing is yet set into stone.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/06/sony-vaio-laptop-losses-bravia-tv

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/6/5385212/sony-sells-off-vaio-pc-division

16. phositadc macrumors 6502

Good to know. Too bad. One less decent option for us.

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I've been looking at getting one of those with a dock to replace my desktop and laptop. Is it any good? Is the trackpad bad, or just not Apple-quality?

18. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I'd get an Asus Zenbook. I have a Vivobook and it is very well made.

19. BayouTiger macrumors regular

Where do you check out these PC alternatives?

I have been considering going with a Win8 laptop lately since most of my field work requires Windows. Problem is that I would never buy a laptop sight unseen and these are virtually no retailers that carry anything I would consider a suitable replacement.

The Yoga2Pro comes closest, but I would never use the tablet format I really don't care for it's lack of I/O options. Other than that nearly every unit I look at at BB absolutely pales in comparison to the Apples.

I would love to be able to lay my hands on there X1 Carbon but such is the state of the market unless you live in one of the really big markets.

20. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Same thing I've been looking at is BB and a local shop that carries a small amount of laptops buy there all refurbished and his price's are insane.

Probably just go with a MBA Maxed out, just did not want to spend allot of money this year and at a minimum I was thinking 8 gig but I'd have to toss it around, seeing how you can't have memory added any more, its hard to predict the future, was also thinking that with them "possibly" coming out with a retina MBA , that I would go with the I5 4GB. Resale is a concern, having a maxed out MBA w/applecare does not mean your going to get top dollar

Thank you to all that replied

21. brand macrumors 601

brand

It's not bad, just not Apple quality like you say. My primary laptop for the last 8 years has been a MacBook Pro so I have gotten used to the quality and function of that trackpad. As a network/systems manager I often use the Dell Latitude series laptops dating back to their beginnings and am no stranger to them. I just didn't think that I would miss the trackpad on my MacBook Pro so much. I guess its a good thing I have both.