13" MBA Refurbs...Are they good or get a new 11"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Wicked1, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Are the last Gen Refurb MBA's a good deal, I was thinking of getting one for the wife since all she does is Farmville and some email, web browsing etc.

I want to turn her Mini into a media center

I used one of the 13" units with the 1.86 and 128SSD and it seems pretty good, I am just not sure if I should get her the 11" instead.

I just ordered a 13" Ultimate for myself but I do far more then she does with a computer.

2. foiden, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

foiden macrumors 6502a

Which one is cheaper? Also take note that size is a factor. For some, the 11" is the perfect size, others want a bigger size built in. Battery life is good on the 11" (about the life of the Macbooks from a couple of years ago, before they started to bump up the battery life even more with a few hardware changes). I'm a little unsure of the battery life rating on the older Macbook airs.

Then again, a lot of farmville players generally play plugged in, so I don't know if battery life is a big factor.

The 11" is definitely overkill for the simpler games. Farmville, Peggle, etc. You could crank those out with a cheap laptop running on Intel Graphics. These 11" specs are more along the lines of a good many Western/Asian MMO games (if bootcamped or running software to run PC MMOs like Crossover), and can work with lower settings of Starcraft 2 easily.

So, for her, it's easy to go with the cheapest option.

3. jevel macrumors regular

I have both the 2.13 GHz SSD rev C original MBA and the 1.6 GHz 11", and there´s not a doubt in my mind; get the 11" It is snappier in general use and it is dead quiet / cool to the touch.

The rev C 2.13 GHz is constantly running the fans and not even able to play a 720p .mkv without stuttering.

Unless you get the rev C a lot cheaper than the 11", this is really an easy choice.

-KJ

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd go with the 11". The inside improvements are pretty substantial, and the SSD on the new devices is much faster than on the refurbished old models.

5. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

yeah I would steer clear of the last gen unless you find something for less than apples refurbished prices. The new MBA has a really good graphics chip and for serious HD content you will be glad to have it.

6. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I think it seems pretty clear to go for the low end 11 MBA only because now she is using an iPad for those games, so this will be a bump up. The prices on the Refurbs is not much less then a new unit, however once you get into the MBP and iMac then the Refurb becomes a no brainer.

Thanks All