13" MBA Screen size

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by beachmama13, Jun 15, 2012.

1. beachmama13 macrumors newbie

Could someone help me out and post the actual width/height of the 13" MBA screen size? I know it's 13.3" diagonal.

Newbie here, I'm about to take the plunge and dump my Dell 15" laptop for a 13". I want to check out the smaller screen size on my old laptop, I do embroidery digitizing and need to resize my software to make sure I like the smaller size.

Thank you

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

No idea off the top of my head, but what's the resolution of your 15in Dell? That could be more relevant.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

11.25" x 7"

----------

Good point.

4. beachmama13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you ZBoater.

My resolution is 1366 x 768

I am a little torn between the 15 Retina and the 13 Air, but I'm hoping the 13 will suit my needs just fine. The Retinas are so new that I'm not sure it would be worth the added expense just yet.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The difference screenwise between a MBPr and a MBA is night and day. It is not some people's cup of tea, as such a high resolution makes some elements very small on the screen, and it is expensive. I think the MBA screen rez for a 13" screen is good. I'd prefer a little bit more (like 1600x1050) but am very pleased with 1440x900.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Just wanted to point out that the high res screen on the Retina Macbook Pro doesn't make anything smaller on the screen. By default everything on screen is exactly the same physical size as on the base 15" Macbook Pro with 1440x900 screen.

You can choose different scaling options to make things larger or smaller, but everything scales up and down together.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That hasn't been my experience with OS X Lion so far, but I haven't spent any time playing with the new MBPr so I can't comment.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The Retina MBP includes a completely different preference panel for the display. The default "Best for Retina" mode works exactly like the retina iPhones and iPads. Same physical sizes but more detail in apps that support it:

[​IMG]

Anandtech has a good article about how it works:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5998/macbook-pro-retina-display-analysis

9. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Yeah, I figured as much. Thusly, since the 13in is 1440x900, you'll get more workspace to play with! And in a smaller, faster package. Win-win! :)