13" MBA thin tiny horizontal lines?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SchneiderMan, Apr 1, 2011.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I just got a 2010 13" MBA and I'm used to using the MBP 15" for a long time now. I noticed when looking at the screen that I can see small thin horizontal lines. They are most noticeable on the dock and icons. Is this is because of the resolution? Thanks!

2. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    not normal, unless to much Jack Daniels, then they start to appear.
    take back to your point of purchase and compare with another and ask for a swap

3. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

It's like faint TV lines. Still not normal lol?

4. aleni macrumors 68020

i thought this was an issue with rev B macbook air, because my old rev A didn't have that, and 2 of my rev B MBA had that before i sold it, and now my 11" air doesn't have that. i know what u meant, it's like a fainted horizontal lines like old tv.

5. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yeah I checked my 15" MBP and it doesn't have them so I'll ask for a replacement.. Thanks :)

6. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

can you post a pic so we can have an idea how its look like;)

7. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

I had it on my 13'' that i got back in Dec, its a defect in the LCD screen.. Exactly as you describe.. no pic necessary.. Unfortunately.. you will need to have it replaced if you want it fixed as I did.

8. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yeah I'll call Apple tomorrow and ask them to send out a replacement while I enjoy myself :) No biggie, Apple always sorts things out at the end..

9. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Horizontal Lines

Same as above, I have the horizontal lines.

What I've noticed is that they come and go. I've had the MBA since December, so I'm past my 90 day full apple support. I started to file a claim and realized the lines disappeared, so I dropped the claim.

They're not easy to see, by any means, but I notice them more in the top bar and the dock. What I've also noticed is that they don't go all the way across the screen. For example, in the top left corner of the menu bar, I can see them but they stop about 4 inches to the right.

Again, they come and go and they aren't everywhere but they LOOK like, every other row of pixels is a TINY bit brighter (or darker) so they look like lines.

I'll try to put a picture up, but in all honesty, I've gone back and forth about whether the lines were really there or if I was just seeing things!

10. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Horizontal Lines (Cont.)

Just went through the Express Apple Care or whatever it is online and requested an exemption (since I'm past the 90 days phone support) and put that it was a hardware issue.

The tech that I spoke to told me to shift+command+4 and take a screenshot of the desktop to see if it was a software or hardware issue. Thankfully I know that the lines are restricted to certain areas, because the screen shot showed the lines, but only because it was in the location of the screen that has the lines on it! So I moved the picture and there weren't lines.

He said that since the lines weren't on the picture that I had a hardware issue and that I'd need to bring it in to get it fixed. I bought my MBA at an Apple reseller (I bought it new, it just wasn't at an apple store). I asked if there was any way I could get it replaced, and he said 'No, only if you have 3 issues then they'll replace it'. I also asked about the Apple Store as an option for replacing my MBA with a new one, and he said it was the Manager's call, but that it was very unlikely that they would act outside of protocol, but that I could try.

I don't know what to do, but I don't want to lose my computer for a few days to fix a built in problem... any advice?

Any luck?

11. yotis macrumors newbie

Hello

I know this is an old post, but by any chance can you tell me how did you fix your issue? It seems that my Mac is starting to do the same, just mine is an MBP not MBA.

Thanks!