13" MBA Ultimate Parallels Work Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by StellaFella, Feb 25, 2011.

1. StellaFella macrumors newbie

Hi,

I currently use a Sony Vaio TZ as my work Machine(Great little machine), I'm thinking of replacing this with a 13" macbook air ultimate, I did look at the new macbook pros but just that bit too big compared to what I'm currently using.

I will be mainly running windows 7 and a number of windows based applications on a daily basis for work purposes. What's the performance like using parallels on macbook air with Windows 7?

Many Thanks

John

2. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Make sure you get 4gb ram. I would suggest using vmware fusion personally but both of them run extremely well performance wise on the MBA

3. surfsofa macrumors member

I'm using Fusion on a 'less than ultimate' MBA. OS is XP and whilst it's not super-snappy, it's still faster than my employer-provided HP laptop, so I'm happy.

I agree that 4Gb RAM is a must if you want to run VMs. My last Mac was a Mini with 2Gb RAM and it ran like a dog (a slow dog).

4. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Parallels 6 is faster than Fusion according to all the tests. Google it and read for yourself. I have the Ultimate 13", 2.13 GHZ with 4 Gigs of ram and Windows 7 runs just fine.

5. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

I don't use vmware because i think it's faster FYI

6. philxor macrumors regular

Performance with parallels is great. Like others said you really need 4Gb of ram but with 4Gb I can run a bunch of native apps and Parallels fine.

7. DarwinOSX, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Of course you want 4 GB of ram but performance is surprisingly good. Here is a good article on the subject.
    http://www.cultofmac.com/virtual-machines-work-great-on-the-new-macbook-air/66857