Price Advice 13" MBA vs 13" rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Usernameisvalid, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Usernameisvalid macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, it has come time for me to invest in Macbook. I'm really looking to pick between a13" MBA i7/256/8 or the rMBP i5/256/8.

I will use it for school but the weight doesn't concern me (it will be in a backpack). Basically I'll do work processing, browsing, the occasional game is mw3 in a windows partion and a little x code. My usage isn't too intensive but I want it to last so I'm concerned about buying a mid cycle macbook air and regretting not getting the iris graphics in the years to come.

Also if I buy a Mac and iPad in the US will it all function fine in Australia apart from the different charger?

2. danimal917 macrumors newbie

I recently returned my 2013 13" MBA for the 13" rMBP (i5/256/8). Between the two configurations you're looking at the rMBP is actually $50 cheaper.

Pluses for the MBA:

Better battery life (I was getting about 14 hours on the MBA vs. about 10 on my MBP)
    About a half-pound lighter and the tapered design makes it a little more portable.

Pluses for the rMBP:

Faster Processor
    Iris Graphics
    More ports including thunderbolt 2
    Retina Display
    Cheaper in your case

For me the decision was a no brainer, the Retina Display IPS panel is just gorgeous, while the MBAs display is very mediocre in comparison. The extra speed is also a nice bonus. The only reason to go with the MBA would be if you want the lightest Mac possible and need more than 9-10 hours of battery life. Just the screen of the rMBP alone makes it worth it IMO.

3. Tfb macrumors member

They're both super capable machines so if you really don't care about the weight then, for me, it would come down to screen versus battery life.

4. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I recently bought my wife a 13" rMBP. Let me tell you, the screen is gorgeous. Looking at any other laptop screen is crap. The new rMBP is amazingly thing and light. I'm surprised its only half a pound heavier. Yes you lose out on the increase battery life but really @ 9 hours battery life is pretty amazing as it is.

5. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

If you go with the air you don't need an i7 for what you said, that might effect your decision as it would be cheaper.

6. royphoenix macrumors newbie

I've had the Air for 4 months now (i7/512/8) and it is seriously a great laptop. I'm doing reports, diagrams, surfing, a bit of coding, as well as running some Windows VMs. Hasn't missed a beat so far, and the 12 hour battery life is amazing if you're out and about a lot.