13" MBP, 15" new MBP, or 15" unibody refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jun 10, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Looking at $1099 for base 13" mbp with edu,

$1349 for the late 2008 unibody macbook pro refurb

$1599 for base 15" mbp newer model.

Weighing all options but I'm leaning towards the 13" mbp, perfect balance of power and portability (and price, too)

Whatcha think? someone rationalize each machine :D

2. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I'd get the highend 13", best of both worlds, power and the size.
    It costs a tad more than the 15" refurb, but gets you more power, maby a better screen (slightly) battery life, ect ect.

Remember with the edu thing you get an ipod also, maby you can sell for like 150-200. Help justify the price..

Honestly, I'm starting to doubt my decision to buy the highend 13", since before I was set with the 2.4, but 2.26 is so close, and the $300 means I can allocate $600 towards a huge SSD or a netbook, or an external battery for my flights to/from China.

Think of what you will say about your computer in two years.
    Will you be "aww damn it's slow, I wish I bought the extra .3 GHz of processor speed"??

3. findwaldonow macrumors member

I think it would be a waste to spring for the entry level 15" MBP without getting a discrete graphics card, which you can get on the refurb you mentioned and also the 2.53 refurb for 1449 which keeps popping on and off of the apple store.

So, if you're going to skip the graphics card and portability is a priority I'd go down to the 13" and even consider a 13" refurb Macbook unless firewire or the SD slot, battery, better screen, etc are important to you.

Today I went with the 2.53 refurb. It's 1050 off what they last sold it for before moving to the 2.66 earlier this year. And for me, coming from a 15.4 inch Gateway MX7515, the portability is going to be great! I'm actually slimming down. Good luck!

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

yeah so if i sell my early 2008 penryn machine, i think i'll either get the $1449 refurb late 2008 model (2.53ghz, 4gb, 320gb) or a base 13" mbp. The new 15" mbp don't make a ton of sense to purhcase imo... but the extra battery gained is pretty cool :)