13" MBP 2.26 or old 15" MBP 2.2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Styxie, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Styxie macrumors member

Hi there, I'm looking for an upgrade for my old PowerBook G4. I could either get a rev D. 15" MBP, with a 2.2 GHz processor, 8600GT graphics and a LED screen, or a brand new 13" uMBP. Both will be roughly the same speed, but I'm not sure about the 8600GT, I heard that one had some problems. On the other hand, I don't know if the 13" will be big enough for me. So of you could choose, would you get a rev. D 2.2 15" MBP or a new 2.26 13" uMBP?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

If the extra bulk isn't a problem for you, I'd personally opt for the 15" MBP. It has a discrete GPU, more screen resolution and an ExpressCard slot if you want to use expansion cards. About the only advantage the 13" MBP has aside from size is that it can accept up to 8GB of RAM (versus 6GB on a Rev. D MBP).

IMHO, the G86 GPU problem was blown WAY out of proportion. While I did have a faulty one in my Early 2008 MBP, the logic board was promptly replaced under warranty and I haven't had a single problem over since (and it's been over a year).

3. seb-opp macrumors 6502

A possible downside of getting the older MBP is that the Hard drive is harder to swap than the new ones

4. eddietr macrumors 6502a

It depends on how much portability means to you. I had a chance to borrow a new 13 umbp last weekend while travelling. That size and that battery are fantastic when travelling.

I'm not sure I was getting 7 hours. But definitely at least 5 for real use. Which I've never come close to even with a brand new battery in any other mbp.

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I would get the 13in 2.26GHz Macbook Pro plus an external monitor for extra screen space. I wouldn't get the 2.2GHz 15in MBP because of the 8600M GT. It may be ok for now, but it will fail in the future.

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I would advise staying away from the 8600 at all costs. Go for the 9400M. There's nothing worse than buying a product you know is defective...

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ya think so? I don't. I usually don't acknowledge multiple posts about problem like this on a forum to signify a widespread problem but when the company (Apple) acknowledges the problem and extends the warranty for 3 years targeted towards the actual issue then I say it was NOT blown out of proportion.

I would stay away from any computer at this point the has an 8600GT. Just get one of the new Macbook Pros. The 13" is fantastic. IMO, it's the best small form factor computer Apple has ever sent out. I've been using Macs for years and nothing I've seen offered by Apple has had such a beautiful screen, very powerful and full featured as the 13" MBP.:)

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would get the 15"...just because I have one, so I am a bit biased.

The whole nVidia issues is big, but it isn't that bad. Don't listen to the people that say that your card will fail, because that isn't true. A lot of people here have yet to have any problems with their 8600 (including me). I am not worried about it at all because I have AppleCare and Apple is standing behind this for 3 years or more. I don't have a problem with knowing that my video card *might* fail. When it does, I am fine with that. Cards will fail, chips will fail, hard drives will fail, logic boards will fail, it's a computer!

On a tech stand point, the 13" MBP out performs the 15" MBP, CPU wise. But, video wise, I would much rather have a discrete video card. On top of that, the 8600GT outperforms the 9400. The 9400 also shares memory with the main memory, which to me is a disadvantage. The 15" can support 6GB, while the 13" can support 8GB of RAM. Hard drive isnt that big of a deal, you can change it on the 15", just dont break anything.

Screen wise, the 15" is larger and has a better resolution. They are both LED. You also get an express card slot as well as firewire 400/800. The unibody has SD card and firewire 800.

Next, battery and design. The 15" has a removable battery while the 13" has a 7 hour integrated non removal battery. The 15" is the classic PowerBook/MacBook Pro design while the 13" is the unibody style.

What is all boils down to is the price, and what you are using it for. Depending on the price, you might be able to get a refurb 15" unibody for the same price.

9. Styxie thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thanks a lot guys, you're really helping me out. Does anyone know what kind of battery life I can expect from the 15" non-unibody?

10. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Maybe around 1-4 hours.

11. Styxie thread starter macrumors member

I've thought it over, and I'm around 90% percent sure on the 13" MBP. The reason for this is not power (they have roughly the same specs, CPU and RAM wise), and not even for portability, because I don't know if 2 vs 2,5 kgs is a dealbreaker. Instead, the 13" has a Penryn CPU, which is 45 nm, and the old 15" MBP has the SR logicboard with the 65 nm Merom CPU. These things run a lot hotter than the new 45 nm ones. A friend of mine has a Blackbook with a non Penryn CPU, and she complains all the time about heat, and the fans are always running fullspeed, making a lot of noise.
    The thing I like a lot about my PowerBook is that the fans never run, only when it's really working out. I can literally hear the CPU crackling when I listen really carefully, but I almost never hear the fans, and iStat tells me they're not running most of the time.
    So I'm thinking the 13" Penryn will be very quiet, and therefore very comfortable. So unless someone has a very good reason for me to buy the 15" old MBP, I'm getting the 13" tomorrow. One final question though, how is the keyboard on the 13" uMBP? I really like the keyboard on my PowerBook, it's one of the best ones I've ever typed on!

12. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I like the keyboard personally. I prefer the of it to style to my old PowerBook's.

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

i own that same 15" mbp, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. A couple things.

1. It runs average from about 50-60C. That is CPU temps. The case is usually quite cool unless you're doing something pretty intensive. This is with FanControl installed, so make sure you dl that. Anything below 3500 rpms is almost inaudible. 4000 and you start to notice.
    2. 8600GT has not died on me yet nor shown any signs of issues after 2 years
    3. It's quite fast and will be faster than the 13" most likely..esp in the graphics/gaming department
    4. In windows, it uses the discrete 128 mb for video and also shares regular memory like the 9400GT, so you are essentially furtureproofed if a future windows OS or program requires over 128 memory, but using over the initial 128 greatly reduces gaming speeds b\c regular memory is slower than discrete vram
    5. I like the keyboard a lot, it is really nice compared to the new ones i think

14. kipkeston macrumors newbie

I have both. A 2.2ghz SR 15" MBP with 4gb ram, and 320 7200rpm hdd. The 15" went in for video card service. So I bought the 13" MBP while it was being serviced. I'm giving the 15" to my brother. I bought a 22" dell 2209WA for the 13" Both are fantastic computers.