13" MBP 2.4 or 21.5 iMac, which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AlextheApple, May 18, 2010.

1. AlextheApple macrumors newbie

Okay so i start college this fall.
    I was planning on moving to the dorms and was set on buying a MBP. BUT things have changed and now im going to stay at home and go to college.
    So now im thinking of getting a desktop (iMac)
    I really really like how the MBP looks and stuff and it will be my first ever laptop.
    Ive always had desktops , maybe thats why i want a laptop idk.
    Ill just be using the computer for basic college stuff and iWork and web surfing.
    the only gaming ill be doing on it is the SIMs 3.
    I Love the huge screen on the iMac but i also like the privacy i can have with a laptop.
    Im also worried about dust. I can buy a case for the MBP to keep it from the elements in the house. But not so for the iMac.
    I wont be traveling with a computer. Or im not sure if i am or not at the moment.
    Can laptops be on all day? Can it be used as my main computer? (without heat etc)

The Specs of the MBP 13" Are:
    -2.4GHz
    -4GB
    -500GB HD
    -NIVIDIA Geforce 320M graphics
    -iWork
    -A case (must have)
    -printer
    it will be around $1,750

The Specs of the iMac 21.5" are:
    -3.06GHz
    -1TB
    -ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB
    -Printer
    -iWork
    it will be around $1,750
    I will be using one of them as my next Main computer.
    Both dont include the price of Applecare. and $1750 is my limit. So if im not buying Applecare which machine will be better with that in mind.
    I hope you answer all my questions lol
    sorry its so long.:confused:

2. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

I would personally go with the MBP. With the iMac you won't have the portability that I, as a college student, like. I chose an iMac and within a year of buying it I bought a macbook too. Now I wish I just had one. Just my two pence.

3. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

4. davidw macrumors member

You have to get the 13" MBP. It's not even a question. The portability factor is much bigger than you could possibly anticipate right now and the speed difference is essentially negligible. 500 GB in internal storage means nothing either, since external HDs are so inexpensive and voluminous at this point.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

go with the MBP. Laptops are better for college in general, and it is always helpful to be able to move around. If you want a big screen as well, get an external monitor, which are relatively inexpensive (~$150-200). I find that to be the perfect setup for me, because I can move around with my MB, then when I am at my desk, I plug in and get 20" of screen. It's a great setup

6. Apps macrumors newbie

Apps

I also want to know if there are any issues with leave a MBP on all the time.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can leave it on constantly if you want, just put it to sleep when not in use.

8. siko0o macrumors newbie

i would have to say imac, you really get what its worth. and if your planing to use it as your main computer then you'll have to be near it 24/7 anyways so it wouldn't matter if its portable or not. then again if you are gonna have the need to be outside often then the MBP would be fine.let me know what you end up getting, am very interested to know. thanks.
    :apple: iphone 3gs 16gb, macbook pro 13inch 2010. itouch first gen 8gb:apple:

9. katyoshi macrumors 6502

As a BSN college graduate and now a grad student, the laptop has always been my best friend. My mac mini would be good for home use, but still, for your only computer a laptop would be ideal for a college student. There will be times when your campus center and need to do work on it or if you're at the library studying or checking out chicks and acting like you're studying but you're really surfing the web ;). Well that sounds creepy. But you get my point. The iMac would be stationary. Plus if you needed to go starbucks to study incase your folks at home made lots of noise, that is an ideal way to use a laptop.

Although starbucks will be noisy too, its different because they have air con, caffeine, music, nice lighting, and hot studious chicks whom I got to meet after seeing them many times when I go there to study. So a laptop is good for studying, being mobile, and representing yourself as "I can afford a mac". Also, make sure you have your iPhone 3GS on the table to top it off. :D I'm not being sarcastic. I do this and dam I feel good about myself. Reason I feel this way is because I recently read the book, "The Secret". Nah well good luck and I would stick with a laptop. If you plan to use it at home a lot too, get the 15". Otherwise, you could do something like many people do, buy the 13" base model and get the 24" Apple Cinema display. This combo is gorgeous and theres no compatibility issues that you'll waste your time with.

By getting the 13" and not the 15", you'll have money left over to justify the cost of 24" ACD and upgrade the hard drive either yourself or from the Apple online store if you have fear of opening up your computer. Also, if you plan on keeping all this for 3+ years, get apple care. I have apple care on all my products. My ACD had a vertical, thin pink line going through the right side after one year. I had applecare and got it fixed with a LED panel replacement. I bought the monitor refurbished from the apple online store.

10. EasyJW macrumors member

i would pick the iMac [​IMG] but seeing as you're at college, the MBP will suit your needs better

11. Graceygirl macrumors newbie

Go imac with a cheap netbook :):) worked for me, <3 my lenovo and all I need my netbook for is taking notes, surfing between classes and light multimedia. You will love the iMac and they last so long + now need to worry about breaking and *god forbid* it being stolen. Either way its :apple: so youll be happy :D

12. aumnevergiveup macrumors member

aumnevergiveup

MBP are what you need..
    i'm college student too, and it's the best portable device i had :D