13" MBP: 2.4 vs. 2.66 GHz Model (price justification?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChocoboNL, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ChocoboNL macrumors member

Hello Everyone,

So, as far as I can see the only difference between the entry model 13" MBP and the higher model 13" MBP is the processor speed and the slightly bumped hdd size.

The price difference is €300, which is a considerable amount, especially on a laptop of 'only' €1100.

How is this price gap 'justified'? Is the 2.66GHz really that much faster? Is there a better lcd-panel in the higher-end model? I know HDD's cost squad, I bought a 500gb WD Scorpio Blue last summer for about €60, iirc.
    Or.. Could it just be that the higher-end model is total rip-off?
    I'd like to buy a 13" mbp asap, but the entry-model is sold out everywhere and it will take until May to restock, or so they say.. Maybe that's the justification for the price difference?

Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. ChocoboNL thread starter macrumors member

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Both 13"s have nVidia 320M...

The only difference is the HD and 260MHz (~10%) in CPU

5. ChocoboNL thread starter macrumors member

Okay, good to know. Would you be able to put this into perspective of real-life use? e.g.:

- Framerate in games;
    - Loading of javascript-intensive website;
    - Encoding video or decoding/ watching video.

~10% CPU speed sounds cool but I'm not sure what this would mean in real life.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you need the computer now and the only option is the faster model, then you don't really have much to justify; however if you find the base model in stock, I'd save your money and buy AppleCare with it or a faster HDD/SSD.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Maybe few FPS more, nothing significant

You need a nanosecond stopwatch to see the difference

If you're converting a video with e.g. Handbrake, it'll be 10secs faster but not difference in watching videos

It's only noticeable in apps that need and can take advantage of the speed. In general usage, there is no difference.

8. ChocoboNL thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks for the answers! Pretty much confirmed what I thought already. Especially since I have a bigger 500GB hdd already the upgrade itself is not really worth €300,- I guess.. But combine it with 2 weeks of waiting without a properly functioning computer and the local apple store might have a deal. Hehe.

Thanks for the fast replies!