13" MBP 2.4 vs 2.66

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g33, Dec 6, 2010.

1. g33 macrumors 6502

Is it worth the extra money? Wil be using it for CS Suite on the go. What would you go for?

Thanks in advance

2. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

They are the same processor and same process... not worth the 300 dollar difference to me.

3. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Spend that money on an SSD. It'll get you more performance than the .26 clock speed bump would ever.

4. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

yup... for $300 more you can bump the ram to 8g and get a 60gig SSD.

very very fast and money well spent.

If you can get to a Micro-Center you can save another $200 on the price of the new MacBook Pro 13" and put a much larger SSD in it and be way ahead.

5. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

think i will do the 2.4 with SSD tbh! not sure if i will completely benefit from the 8gb of ram but we shall see.

Im in the UK so Micro Center is a no go unfortunately, I'll have to settle for education discount.

Which SSD would you recommend? I thought Mac OS doesnt support trim?

6. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

OSX 10.6 doesn't support TRIM. Yes, its a little sad. However, even an SSD that has been severely degraded will perform better than a standard hard-drive.

From what I have read, it seems that there are certain drives that suffer less from performance degradation. I believe the Intel x-25m G2 is one of those, although I've also heard good things about this drive: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_SSD_Sandforce/Solid_State_Pro

I'm no expert, but i hope I helped a bit.

Oh, and I don't see OSX 10.7 Lion not including support for TRIM when it is released this summer. So any performance degradation should be recovered when/if you upgrade to Lion next year.

7. Ankit S. macrumors newbie

Is that performance degradation you're talking about in any way related to the limited amount of writes that can be done to an SSD? Does TRIM increase the number of writes?

8. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to all for advice. For what its worth I ordered a 2.4 13" after reading the comments. Going to search for SSDs now :p

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Good choice!

10. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Good choice -- same one I ended up making.

As for SSD's, I'm holding out a little while longer. 120's are at the right pricepoint but looking at what I keep on the system (it's my primary personal system), I feel it'd be a little tight space-wise and would prefer to go with a 240GB level... which is a bit more expensive than I want to go for today.

Having come from a Windows laptop, I find the performance of the stock system to be pretty reasonable. I know I'd like an SSD but with 8GB of memory (got in on the $90 J&R deal for Crucial) performance is decent.

My point is consider getting and using the system a bit before committing to SSD. I was all hot to order an SSD right as I got my MBP13, but am glad I've chosen to wait a little bit.

12. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

going to put the factory drive in an optibay. not my main pc but 250gb should do for loading stuff onto