13" MBP 2.40 vs. 2.66

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DiamondGCoupe, May 12, 2010.

  1. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    #1
    I'm looking to "upgrade" from my current MBA 2.13 128SSD to a new MBP since Steam and SC2 are now available for Mac. Additionally the Air cannot really keep up with what I want it to do.. Lag after ~5minutes of watching Hulu etc.. bought it for law school but should have gone pro. I have a gaming PC so I won't be using it specifically for games. I absolutely want another SSD just wondering if it's worth the additional ~$300 for the faster processor speeds.. 2.4 with SSD is sufficient? Not upgrading ram.
     
  2. ayeying macrumors 601

    ayeying

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Location:
    Yay Area, CA
    #2
    I'd get 2.4GHz and get an SSD. That'll be bigger performance boost than 2.66GHz with no SSD.

    However, even if you don't get an SSD, you can still save $300 for a no visible performance boost for a rainy day... or other upgrades.
     
  3. DiamondGCoupe thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    #3
    I would get SSD either way but it's $270 more for 2.66 and I'm not sure that's necessary.. Anythings faster than the Air lol!
     
  4. gwsat macrumors 68000

    gwsat

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    Location:
    Tulsa
    #4
    The $1,199 2.4 Ghz of the 13 inch MBP is the clear choice, it seems to me. You would have to pay an extra $300 for nothing but a 10% bump in processor speed to 2.66Ghz and a slightly larger hard drive, which you should probably replace with a SSD, anyway.
     
  5. DiamondGCoupe thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    #5
    Decided to cancel my 2.66 order and hold off - also noticed Apple began it's Back To School Promo May 27th last year so waiting a week might net me another $150 savings by selling the free iPod I get. And I'd like to see if a NEW Air is avail by then.
     

Share This Page