13" MBP/2.53 - Backlight Screen Bleeding

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blackbean, Jul 15, 2009.

1. blackbean macrumors newbie

Hi I've had my new 13" MBP for about a month now and I am noticing what looks like backlight bleeding spots at the bottom of my screen. It is most noticeable on the bottom left and appear blue-ish on a black screen at maximum brightness. It is getting irritating when I am watching movies at night. I have the 9CBD screen. Others have said they have no problems with this screen model. So is this normal or is it a defect?

If it is a defect, what can I do to fix this? My 14 day grace period is over, so I'm assuming an easy exchange at the Apple Store is out of the question?

Pics of my screen problem are attached. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Go take it to your local apple store and have them look at it. That lower blue streak looks horrid. Now it may be the video, have you tried different movies ?

3. blackbean thread starter macrumors newbie

The "blue streaks" are present whenever the screen is black or that part of the screen is black.

Is anyone else having this problem?

What are the chances of me being able to easily exchange/replace it at the Apple Store for a new one (even thought its been about a month)?

4. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

if theres something seriously wrong with it you're covered by warranty.

5. tdream macrumors 65816

Try not watching at full brightness then, you don't need full brightness if you're watching a movie in pitch black darkness.

6. cababah macrumors 68000

So you are saying the solution is to not utilize his computer functions as much?

It should not be like that no matter how high you are allowed to turn up the brightness.

7. Colonel Abitbol macrumors newbie

I've seen you posting on my thread, i have the same problem with a 9CBD model as well.

The more I see it, the more i'm upset by it.

8. gkhndes macrumors member

I just opened the same thread.

I exchanged mine 2 times. All have it.

Live with it !

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Sounds like it'd be a good idea to wait another month or two before trying to get it sorted; there may be a revision in production by then.

A bit wouldn't bother me but that does look quite pronounced and, well, Apple laptops aren't cheap so if it's bothering you I think it's reasonable for you to try and get it repaired/replaced.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This looks significant, so I would say to take it in, but bits of backlight bleed are a reality of lcd backlit displays. At the price/volume they're produced at, perfection in quality control is difficult. Things like medical grade and broadcast quality displays often have much tighter standards, but they cost thousands of dollars.

Edit: Maybe 6-7 years ago most this kind of bleed was annoyingly common even in desktop displays.

Anyway you may have to fight them a little, but I'll bet you could get this computer serviced or replaced.

You shouldn't ever need maximum brightness with a new computer. They start off way too bright to compensate for backlight degradation. Anyway this one does look significant enough to warrant servicing, but like I said he might have to argue with them a little depending on the employee.

This won't necessarily change much. Yes there are sometimes good and bad batches, but lcd displays shipped in this kind of volume have a fair amount of sample variation. If you line up five of them in a row with black or grey mapped across each display, none of them will match. I just think that even then, the OP could get one better than he has. Typically if a display looks unacceptable, I learned long ago to simply return it right away.