13" MBP 2010 issues w/ HDMI via MiniDisplay Port?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chuckflip53, Aug 15, 2010.

1. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

I bought my MBP 13" (2.4ghz C2D) in May of 2010 and heard some issues about HDMI output via the MiniDisplay Port? I am about to purchase one but if the cases I heard about are true, should i wait for the problem to be fixed (if Apple is even planning a fix)?

2. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

What issue are you talking about? I've had no issues at all... :confused:

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Ditto. I have a 15" MBP and purchased a Moshi MiniDisplay Port to HDMI, and it works great. No problems.

4. chrisvee macrumors regular

I have a 2010 13" MBP and it works great! The port on the 2010s even have audio output along with video, given that you have the correct adapter.

5. JCCash macrumors regular

I use the Moshi MiniDisplay Port to HDMI to stream NetFlix to our LCD 47" TV in our TV room. Make sure you set the audio output to the mini port.

On the other hand, the casing for the Moshi comes apart... I bought the Moshi MiniDisplay Port to HDMI at the local Apple store.

6. Covart Guest

I believe the issue he is referring to is that some of the MDP to HDMI adapters on the market did not have audio out capability, even though they were designed for the 2010 MBP.

You just have to ensure when buying your adapter that it does have audio out capability.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The MBP itself has no problems. But some adapters don't support audio transfer through HDMI. The current MBP has audio out in HDMI but previous MBPs do not. Just make sure the HDMI adapter you buy supports audio transfer. The adapters that don't support audio transfer were made for previous MBPs. If not, then run a cheap Toslink cable from the audio port (13" MBPs have combined audio in and out) to the HDTV. You could also run a regular 3.5mm audio cable from MBP to TV but I think most TVs that support HDMI also have optical audio in (called Toslink). Monoprice has all the stuff you need, their miniDP to HDMI adapter supports audio transfer and you could also buy their Toslink cable which is like $1.00 or something really cheap but good quality (much better than Monster cables btw). I prefer to use digital audio while using HDMI (which is a digital port) because of the lossless qualities compared to analog (VGA and 3.5mm audio).