13" MBP 2010 issues w/ HDMI via MiniDisplay Port?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chuckflip53, Aug 15, 2010.

1. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

I bought my MBP 13" (2.4ghz) just 3 months ago - I am considering buying an HDMI adapter but heard about problems with HDMI output on the macbooks? If that's the case should I wait until Apple fixes it (if it does at all)?

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

i have not heard of any issues with the hdmi cable out of a mac, there is no special software for it, just a higher resolution and faster cable then your regular AVI, i am running the regular avi out of a macbook 13" and it works great no lag or res issues (13" macbook - 26" lg tv)

3. chuckflip53 thread starter macrumors regular

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3065
    "On some noncompliant Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapters, the audio signal may not be passed to the HDMI device."

EDIT: so apparently only certain MiniDisplay ports (after April 2010?) transmit audio as well as video - did a few quick searches on Amazon to find the ports that do support audio

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

avi is a video format. DVI is a display connector.

Macbooks prior to April 2010 indeed cannot transmit audio through the HDMI cable.

5. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Correct, but you also have to have a cable that supports the audio. The one I bought from Monoprice a while back unfortunately doesn't. :(

6. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

The 2009 won't support audio, but you can buy adapters that plug into the MDP and USB which go to an HDMI. I think a simple google or amazon search can find you those.