13" MBP 2011 display...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prism, Apr 23, 2011.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

I'm coming from a 15" HRAG which was truly gorgeous and although I love practically everything about the SBR MBP, including the fact that it is smaller, the screen is really not that great. I had the opportunity to compare it to a 13" MBA and what really struck me apart from the fact that the MBA has a higher rez screen was the fact that the glass is reflective. In other words, it is better to the eyes which brings me to wonder why on earth didnt apple at least use the better glass of the MBA on the new 13" MBP!!!
    Apart from that, like I stated earlier, I'm pretty much a happy camper!

2. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Yeah, it's one of the few sore spots for me as well owning my 2011 13" MBP. I didn't think the lack of hi-res screen would bother me that much, but I've noticed my eyes getting tired staring at my laptop screen for long periods of times. I wonder if this has anything to do with the lack of hi-res. Also, from in terms of the operating system, the screen can feel extremely cramped when you open more windows.

I wish Apple at least gave the option to upgrade to hi-res.

3. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you ask me, its the glossy display that gives the sore eyes, I get the same and I didnt have it with the AG display of my former 15". As for cramped effect of the relatively low rez screen, I use the "spaces" feature which does it for me at least!

4. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Space is a very cool feature, but I find it a little cumbersome to use... all that switching back and forth. I wish I was able to just keep everything comfortably on one screen. I can, but it feels a little cramped.

Hm, regarding the glossy screen being the cause of my eye strain, that's interesting. That could potentially be the culprit, and if so, that is disconcerting. I'm wondering what my options are now in terms of returning/exchanging my MBP. I can't use a laptop where my eyes will hurt every time I'm on it. Edit: I'm over my 14-day grace period. I've had my MBP for about a month and a half now.

I'm especially pondering this given that an imminent Air refresh may come in June, adding Sandy Bridge and TB ports.

Any suggestions?

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I've always found the gloss to be easier on the eyes, but some people will say the opposite. However, IMO the black outline on the MBP helps reduce headaches as it creates a 'neutral space' in which the eyes do not fixate on, compared to other colors. I use this thing at least 12 hours a day and I do not have headache issues from it. Some people say the AG is better for long term use, but I cannot speak on behalf of the Apple AG screen, but at least for me, Dell AG screens were worse than the gloss. However, if you take your computer outside or in super high light conditions, the glossy screen will make you scream.

With that said, why Apple stayed with the 1280x 13in screen resolution and did not upgrade it confuses me, as does why you have to pay more for a hi-res screen on the 15 given the price and tier the computer is. They did so much with the update that IMO they should have done more with the display. Still, it was such an amazing update and stands above all other systems that I would buy the computer if it was using the old VGA screen :p

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

What's Apple's exchange policy like? Probably better idea to put it up on Craigslist/eBay than to "return" it to them, huh? Anyone have any other suggestions in general?

Depending on what the Air refresh looks like this June (supposedly), I may considering swapping my 13" MBP. I'd love for a higher-res, AG screen...

7. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

The next MBA will most likely keep the same higher res with the less glossy screen, I doubt that there will be an AG option like for the 15 and 17", it wouldnt make sense to offer it on the air and not the 13" pro!

8. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suspect it has something to do with profit margins, they must be getting those screens for so cheap that they decided to stick with it for a longer while. The next refresh will probably offer higher res screens.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Aren't pretty much all LCD screens of that size inexpensive these days? Beyond the resolution, IMO the LED backlighting is most important, which they are currently using. Even if they are lower res and lower cost, I have not ever seen one that has turned unto that off-white, yellowish color that LCDs used to do, so even if they are cheaper (which they probably are), they are still pretty good longevity wise. :)

10. DukeL macrumors member

DukeL

I have found the exact opposite. I love the display on the 13MBP. I think the resolution is perfect and makes all the icons/text etc. the perfect size. I TRIED THE NEW AIR IN 11 AND 13' and found that for some reason the hi-res display severely strained my eye and was uncomfortable to use. I'm not sure if its the hi-res which makes the menus/icons etc smaller or the fact that there is no glass covering the display or maybe even the type of screen that is used but I do know the 13MBP is sooooo much nicer to look at. Its the only reason i went with it instead of the new AIR's because I absolutely love their form factor.