Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Hey everyone, currently i have a MBA (1st Gen, low end model) and an iMac, but while i am away from university and at home i can't use my iMac and my MBA is too slow and the HDD is way to small so i am considering switching to a 13" MBP (2.4GHZ - Latest Gen) and a 24" ACD (selling both), my only question is, will the 13" MBP sufficiently power the ACD and make it possible to run VLC (SQ Video) and Safari and various, non demanding tasks such as iTunes (250GB Library) iWork and iPhoto (non-editing, just tagging)? thanks, plus anyone from America/UK with an iPad, are they are good for University Students :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hey everyone, currently i have a MBA (1st Gen, low end model) and an iMac, but while i am away from university and at home i can't use my iMac and my MBA is too slow and the HDD is way to small so i am considering switching to a 13" MBP (2.4GHZ - Latest Gen) and a 24" ACD (selling both), my only question is, will the 13" MBP sufficiently power the ACD and make it possible to run VLC (SQ Video) and Safari and various, non demanding tasks such as iTunes (250GB Library) iWork and iPhoto (non-editing, just tagging)? thanks, plus anyone from America/UK with an iPad, are they are good for University Students :)

You can use ACD just like it was the primary monitor, no lag or other issues. Same applies to other displays

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
UK
You can use ACD just like it was the primary monitor, no lag or other issues. Same applies to other displays

oh that's cool :) thanks for the help, never used an external display before so not really bright about them lol :)

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
UK
iPad is good for lounging and browsing. Productivity isn't the iPad's strength in my opinion.

have you tested Pages and Keynote out, i am not really fussed about Numbers, but i would like to be able to go to lectures and write stuff down at a nice pace lol :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.