13" MBP and Flash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icek, May 26, 2010.

1. icek macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have recently purchased a 13" MBP (2.4, 2010 model) for my girlfriend. She's given me a list of software that she needs for her job and I've been taking care of that, while learning my way into OSX. Always been a Windows/Linux user, noobie when it comes to Macs.
    Everything went great until last night, very easy to install software, it's even running a VM with Windows 7 (for the few programs not available for OSX) and the little Mac does not complain.

At some point I had the VM (using 1 out of the 4GB of RAM) installing software, while downloading from Chrome, plus few torrents, and installing WoW on the OSX. Even with all this the Macbook was always ready whenever I wanted to do something else. This is to point out that the machine is fast enough.

So, to my issue:

Someone sent me an URL to a streaming website which uses Flash (opened it with Chrome). It was slow. Very slow. At one point the mouse pointer just vanished whenever I gave Chrome focus, and it wouldn't come up anywhere on the screen, not even moving it outside the Chrome window - but it was there since I had the context menu show up on right-click. Sometimes pressing "cmd" would make it show up, but it didn't work all the time. Not knowing where the pointer is made it hard to close the browser tab.

Tried it in Firefox and I had no issues with the pointer, however it was still really slow, choppy playback and scroll was everything but smooth. Surprisingly it was just fine in Safari. While searching around the web many were complaining about the Safari + Flash combo, but few about other browsers.

Just to make sure I had the very latest version of the Flash player, I went into Adobe's website and installed the latest version (10.0.45.2). OSX is version 10.6.3. This seemed to solve the missing pointer issue, but both Chrome and Firefox behave very very slowly when opening anything with Flash (any Youtube video for example).

Worst is that it sometimes causes OSX to stop responding for brief periods, even when nothing else is running in the background.
    A friend with a 2008 15" MBP reports that Flash does use tons of cpu power, but has never seen it choppy or made his browsers slow to respond (he's using Leopard).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Have you monitored your CPU usage with each browser while using Flash?

3. Tegeril macrumors member

I have never experienced that kind of issue with Flash in a browser on the Mac. Some Flash developers make the reprehensible decision to use cursor replacement that can make the cursor appear sluggish if you are encountering a low framerate situation because they hide the system cursor and display a custom one, updating its position on every frame.

The Safari complaints were from the initial 4.0 release. Apple has since improved their plugin architecture speed (32bit Flash Plugin -> 64bit Safari).

4. icek thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't monitor at the time, but I did it now. Fresh OSX boot without opening anything besides each browser.

Chrome opened 3 processes (overall ranging 63-78% cpu load):
    - Shockwave Flash (35-42%)
    - Chrome Processor (15-20%)
    - Chrome (13-16%)

Firefox opened just one process, ranging 55-62% cpu load.

Safari opened 2 processes (overall ranging 50-60% cpu load):
    - Flash Player (35-42%)
    - Safari (15-18%)

(edit: I picked a random Youtube video for this, same video playing on all three tests)

Didn't realize it'd be so high :O

During these tests I observed no slowness, it might be that it only happens while multitasking. I use a Windows machine for work and only have the MBP for another 3 days until I give it back to its owner, so I haven't really done anything on it since last night.

I do realize that sometimes the mouse pointer can act weird when you mouse-over the Flash player area, but that's not what happened then. I couldn't see the pointer anywhere on the screen, but I'd see the Dock icons grow when the invisible pointer got on the dock.
    When I managed to get it working it'd be visible while focusing any app, but clicking anywhere inside Chrome would make it go away again. I'll blame it on some dodgy Flash Player version for the time being, as this problem has gone away since I installed the latest version.

5. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

This happens on my 13" MBP too, and it has the same specs. But only when I've been using flash for 1+ hours...

7. djairjr macrumors newbie

Buggy video with flash player

The same thing happen to me. The fans start to work very loud, the machine works too slow. But few weeks ago, the most strange thing happened: strange glitches in my laptop screen.

My Macbook Penryn start to do this two or three weeks ago. This issue isn't only related to Safari, but any piece of software. First I think that is hardware, but when I use Ubuntu LiveCD, the problem don`t appears...

When I read the rumors that apple is creating your own version of flash player, I have the intuition that this issue with display can be something related to Flash.

I uninstall it and the problem is gone. Adobe Flash player for Mac is very unstable and need a lot of processor.

Try it and see for yourself...

Sorry for bad english...

8. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i don't have my MBP (yet) but from what i hear and read is the flash 10.0 release *really* crap on OSX. However the (preview) of 10.1 is available and does GPU acceleration and such and is supposed to be *MUCH* faster on the MAC.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

maybe that will fix it for you?

stefan