13" MBP and Xbox 360

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Not Available, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Hi, I've got quite a simple question about an MBP and an Xbox 360, which I'm sure some have asked and others have answered before, but I'm looking for a straight-forward response given the situation I find myself into.

So I've got the two devices, and I'd like to use the MBP's display as a video output for the 360. What I've also got is a VGA adapter for the 360, so I could connect it to a monitor instead of a TV.

So basically, is this achievable, and if it is, what else do I need, in case I need anything else?

Sorry for the improper way of writing this message, but all I have is an HTC Desire, and I find it quite difficult to type very well. Thanks in advance for your patience and responses!

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Nope, not possible. On a 27" iMac this is, but no other Apple computer.

3. shrakner macrumors member

Might be possible with a video capture device

Sneakz is right that only the 27" iMacs have that ability without buying anything more than another cable.

However, you may be able to accomplish this with the purchase of a video capture device, like the ones made by Pinnacle or Elgato. For around $70-$100, you can get one of these devices that basically plugs into your MBP's USB port and gives you A/V input connections, usually component video and others. They're intended for recording video, but some may have a live view- I think there's an Elgato one specifically for live TV viewing, which should do the trick.

Edit: the Elgato EyeTV hybrid is definitely able to do this, but only in standard def: http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1063.

Honestly, for the price, you're probably better off getting a small cheap LCD tv or monitor with HDMI input- unless of course you want to be able to record as well.