13" MBP - Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dlb253, Apr 14, 2010.

1. dlb253 macrumors member

I've pretty much decided on the base model 13" MBP (2.4 GHz, 320M) but I can't decide on AppleCare. I'll get the student discount, so its hard for me to want to spend an extra $250 on an $1100 notebook.

I'm sure looking back people are always glad they got it (if they end up needing it) and I've heard the service is great. But will I really need it? I'm not sure anyone can answer that, just looking for advice. Is it really worth the extra 20%?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Laptops = Always get AC if you intend on keeping it. Buy it after the 10th month of purchase.

3. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

If anything goes wrong after a year, you will KILL yourself if you don't get applecare. repairs are ridiculously expensive.

4. mtehonica macrumors regular

You can get it at a huge discount on eBay. Just make sure it's from a seller with lots of good feedback. Usually Applecare for a 13" MB/MBP/Air can be had for around $100-$110.

5. dlb253 thread starter macrumors member

How does that work? This'll be my first mac. I didn't know you could buy AppleCare anywhere...how is it that you can get extended warranty through anyone other than apple? And for cheaper?

Also, when you buy it, is it just a box with a registration number or something? Once you have it, do you register that AppleCare # with your comp's serial #?

6. soleilvie macrumors member

DEFINITELY buy AppleCare. Sure, the chances of something going wrong may be slim but it's still a possibility and having to pay for a repair when your computer is out of warranty is going to hurt. I bought AppleCare for my MacBook and a few months ago the logic board needed to be replaced. I was told this would have cost $500-$800 if I didn't have AppleCare. A guy next to me in the store had an older MacBook Pro that didn't respond when he turned it on. His logic board replacement was going to cost $800 because he didn't have AppleCare. You don't need to buy it when you buy the computer, you can get it any time within the first year if you want.

7. mtehonica macrumors regular

You've got it pretty much right. AppleCare is simply a registration number in a box. Most sellers on eBay will just email you the code and a link to Apples AppleCare website where you activate it. You just put in the AppleCare registration number and your serial number and it's done.

8. dlb253 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I guess I still dont understand how it can be cheaper anywhere other than the Apple store. If they're the one's providing the warranty, dont they fix the price?

And will I need to get UPDATED applecare that pairs with the UPDATED mbp? Or does applecare not get "updated". If I get the one "for portable macs 13.3 inches" will that cover them all?

9. Fame Monster macrumors newbie

I also want to know how the sellers on ebay are able to sell applecare so much cheaper.

10. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

That's easy they don't make as much profit per unit. You can buy a Nikon from a Brick and Mortar store for $1000 or buy it from a reseller on Ebay for $800. Same camera but the Ebay person (assuming it's a legitimate dealer) is making less profit margin and hoping to make up the delta in volume.