13" MBP Backlight Bleed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emiljan, Mar 9, 2010.

1. emiljan macrumors 6502

Jan 25, 2010
    Hey guys,

Tonight while watching black hawk down i noticed a blue light on the bottom of the screen, it seems the backlight is bleeding through the lcd and it was really annoying. Its happening on all sides but the bottom is really noticeable when there is no other light sources in the room.

When i open front row its even more noticeable, and i want to know is this a common thing or is my screen broken?

Here is a screenshot of the screen while in frontrow:

Is this something i should be worried about? Because im thinking of taking it to the apple store to have it looked at.
  2. stevemiller macrumors 68000

Oct 27, 2008
    consider yourself fortunate... mine is like that plus an enormous amount of bleed on the left and right!

that said i've read posts of people who have gotten recently purchased machines exchanged... although sometimes it just ended up in a replacement with as much or worse backlight bleed. either way, its a common issue and a matter of luck whether you'll get it resolved.
  3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

Oct 25, 2009
    Thats really not bad. Does it bother you when doing other tasks on the computer?

I had a high spec Dell before my MacBook Pro, and it had backlight bleed much worse, but it was only noticeable while watching video and otherwise was a pretty awesome notebook hardware wise. So I would not worry about it.
  4. emiljan thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 25, 2010
    It doesn't really bother me, just its annoying when watching anything in a low-light area.

I paid $1,100(college student)for this laptop and its primary used for my web design classes in school, so I'm worried it might effect the colors of the monitor somehow. I'm a little mad that i paid a premium and got this instead.
  5. Pax macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2003
    Mine has similar bleed along the bottom. It's a 9C9E panel. I've seen others with similar bleed. The room has to be pretty dark, and the backlight set pretty high, for it to be noticeable.

I think part of the reason i can see the bleed is because the contrast ratio is very high on this panel. I can turn the brightness up to crazy levels and still keep good blacks on the rest of the panel.

If it really bugs you, you could try to swap the Mac. but be warned - if you get another with the same panel model, it will have the same problem. If you get one with a different panel, it might not have the backlight bleed but will probably be compromised in another area.