Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
If I buy the applesac and have it shipped to Canada it will be about $50 dollars (if I buy two of them, it will be more like 60-65 if I buy one), and the Crumpler School Hymn 13" is $50 Canadian and I can buy it in Vancouver.

I think the applesac wins hands down for looks and style, but it seems like the crumpler would offer better protection and would be a bit of a better value. Since I will be tossing the notebook into my backpack with textbooks and stuff it seems like protection should win, but I really like the look of the applesacs.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the two different cases?

The crumpler website states "Super soft 1.2mm PVC outer shell (01-04), Basketball Vinyl outer shell (05-08), light foam padded, hard plastic central layer, light foam inner padding and brushed nylon lining. Self healing medium size zipper with metal logo pull, internal PVC zip guard."

So it sounds like it has a bit of hard plastic protection in it, which is nice. It also has protected zippers so it won't scratch and it seems like it might be water resistant (applesac is not).

luztra

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
I find the Crumpler is not a 'snug' fit. I like my sleeves to fit 'snug'. I would get the AppleSac...Or check out foofpod.com.

johndoe101

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
Applesac

I've had the ColcaSac for almost 2 years now (had it shipped to Australia) and LOVE IT. Haven't seen anyone else with it and my laptop is still in perfect condition, no scratches or dents. I ALWAYS have my laptop with me in a backpack along with the powercord, books, clothes and it's never let me down.

I picked the AppleSac over the Crumpler sleeves due to pure aesthetic appeal.

Cheers,
Martin

bomelon

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2009
Have you been to the store to check it out? I went to the Vancouver store a week ago, and they have them... They're nice and soft on the inside, but they're not as rigid as they look in picures (that's just the shape when it's zipped) and looks a little flimsy, but in the end it's just a case/sleeve... not meant to be dropped on to asphalt. I still think it's a sturdy case, but it's no tank like it seems online. It also looks a little bulky to just be shoved in a backpack.

One of the factors I was considering was the use of it on my lap (when my MBP gets too hot!) which is something the Applesac can't do (Haha, after reading this thread... I'm in the exact same boat as you =P, I didn't hear about the applesac till just now). But the Applesac suuuure looks cozy!

lunari

macrumors member
May 19, 2009
Glendive, Montana
I've had my crumpler for almost a month now, I couldn't live without it. I have the dreadful embarrassment, I believe they make a 13" version of it. It's perfect.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
If I order two applesacs (one for me and one for my girlfriends whitebook) the shipping will be the same amount, and therefore less per item. I would still rather buy it from a Canadian store to avoid this (also potential duty fees).

Does anyone know where I can get one in Canada?

I'm torn between the original applesac (burlap), or the new black Colcasac (hemp).

aprofetto

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
If I order two applesacs (one for me and one for my girlfriends whitebook) the shipping will be the same amount, and therefore less per item. I would still rather buy it from a Canadian store to avoid this (also potential duty fees).

Does anyone know where I can get one in Canada?

I'm torn between the original applesac (burlap), or the new black Colcasac (hemp).

Where in Canada do you live?

Close to the Buffalo border? Theres a place called US Address Inc., its right over the border in Buffalo and acts as a US address. You can make an account for free and everytime you use them it costs $5.

I ordered the AppleSac case to there, drove over and picked it up for $5 instead of paying the outrageous shipping charges.

But if you are buying 2 and the shipping is the same price that isn't too bad I guess.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Where in Canada do you live?

Close to the Buffalo border? Theres a place called US Address Inc., its right over the border in Buffalo and acts as a US address. You can make an account for free and everytime you use them it costs $5.

I ordered the AppleSac case to there, drove over and picked it up for $5 instead of paying the outrageous shipping charges.

But if you are buying 2 and the shipping is the same price that isn't too bad I guess.

I live in Vancouver but don't have a car so this isn't an option. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.