13" MBP clanking noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wakka092, Jun 15, 2009.

1. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

When I lift my MBP, there is a obvious clanking noise coming from the inside of the computer to the right of the trackpad. I don't have a disc inserted into the drive, so what could be the problem? Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks!

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Is it your hard drive spinning?

3. wakka092 thread starter macrumors 6502

wakka092

No, the sound only occurs when the MBP is moved, like in my lap or getting up from the couch, etc. Not exactly heavy abuse.

4. macinsanity macrumors member

I believe there is a locking mechanism in many laptops so that the hard disk locks when you move it while its spinning. It is a safety measure so that the hard disk is not damaged.

Just my guess.

I'm hearing the same thing on my 13" Mid 2009 uMBP.

5. JimboJones97 macrumors newbie

That is the SMS (sudden motion sensor) parking the head of the hard drive. This keeps the head from crashing into the HD platter and damaging it. This technology has been around since the iBook and PowerBook days. I've owned many iBooks and PBs, but for some reason the noise is extra loud on the unibody macbooks.

6. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

yes i notice mine all the time, i like it , kinda lets you know its workin lol

7. wakka092 thread starter macrumors 6502

wakka092

That makes complete sense. Just surprising considering the iBook sitting across the room never made a sound when the SMS was activated. Thanks guys :)

8. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Yeah I noticed the same thing on my 13in MBP, kinda weirded me out. Maybe when SSD drops into my price range I can get rid of it. :D

9. ShiftyPig macrumors 6502a

I came here to research this exact issue. Never noticed it with my 2008 aluminum MB.

The hard drive does seem to be a little noisier, but at least the clanking isn't an issue.

10. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Haha! I just noticed that sound for the first time when taking the system down a flight of stairs. I have to say, that's cool.

11. Love macrumors 68000

Love

...sorry. Made a really ignorant post here, didn't read your post clear enough!

Basically, it is the SMS. Happens on mine, too. Not as much a clank and more of a "thck" sound.

12. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Yes I've had exactly the same issue with mine. At first I was a bit worried that my hard drive was doing something untoward, but after reading around a bit I feel more content that it's working as intended :)

13. ShiftyPig macrumors 6502a

Bit of an old bump, but updated to say that my hard drive has failed after less than a month.

Not sure if it was SMS-related, but compared to my previous model uMB it was ridiculously sensitive.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The iBook doesn't have an SMS...

It probably wasn't. Hard drives are shots in the dark in terms of getting a good unit vs a bad unit anyways.

15. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

is there any definitive word on weather or not the the WD scorpio blue 500gb's "shockguard" interferes with the macbook's built in SMS?

16. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan