13" MBP Cover/Case - any favourites?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by New2Mac2012, Mar 26, 2016.

1. New2Mac2012 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a cover/case for my nearly-pristine mid-2012 MacBook Pro.

There are a couple of decent-looking ones on Amazon, but I thought I'd ask around here first if people have any particular preferences?

I'm not looking for anything special - just something to protect against dents/bumps/scratches whilst still allowing proper cooling and access to the optical drive.

Thanks in advance!

2. nenad83 macrumors newbie

3. Jozone macrumors 6502

My go to has been the Speck hard cases (have a clear hardshell on my cMBP 2012) -- have you tried one?

4. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

5. New2Mac2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been reading up on Speck hard cases - and found all kinds of horror stories about snapped plastic and dust/debris getting caught beneath the cover and scratching the computer!

Beginning to wonder whether it's just better to go "unprotected" - the computer lives in a laptop bag anyway when not in use...

6. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Where the tabs are, the plastic is a bit thin and tend to break off. It's good to remove the covers and clean the dust and debris out every once in a while.

If you're going to put it in a bag and it may get rough, I'd go with a hard sleeve like a Thule. If it's not so rough, a soft sleeve will do.

7. New2Mac2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

I suppose it's better to chance scratches with a hard cover than risk not having any protection at all... looking at the clear speck case on Amazon right now!

8. Jozone macrumors 6502

Its way easier to just safely remove the case and clear any debris out every few weeks (the same interval I clean my display) than to put the computer on a table with some grain of sand/glass that scratches the aluminum. After 4 years, I have 0 damage from my hardcase on my 2012 cMBP (which receives daily usage).

9. New2Mac2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

I definitely agree with you there - may I ask why you went for Speck, as opposed to Incase or Kuzy?

10. New2Mac2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI for anyone interested, I went for the translucent Speck SeeThru case - MacBook cleaned, case installed (and I've had a little practice getting it on and off too - easy enough).

I'll keep people apprised of how I get on with it!