13" mbp CS4 performance (arrandale)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mortimer, Jan 6, 2010.

  1. mortimer macrumors newbie

    Oct 27, 2007
    The desktop that I built in '02 just **** the bed. I've already decided on the 13" mbp, but not sure (like everyone else) if I should be waiting for arrandale. Besides some occasional personal POV video editing the most intensive thing I will be doing is some Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver work. I also need this to be able to play HD video smoothly.

    Last week I was set on waiting for the arrandale release, but with the $999 refurb deal and spring semester starting up today I'm wondering if I really need the performance increases. I've seen the benchmarks and while they are impressive I'm now unsure if a few seconds saved in Photoshop and iMovie is worth it.

    I suppose I'm mostly concerned with longevity and getting the best value for my dollar, but pretty sure I'll be sick of working on web projects on the obnoxiously slow library computers by the time the new mbp's come out.

    Is the $999 deal worth it? Seems pretty solid to me.
  2. 4FalconAF macrumors member

    Nov 18, 2009
    I have a 2.53Ghz 13" mbp, and use Photoshop regular. It works really smooth, also with more complicated files.
  3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000


    Oct 29, 2009
    Define "play HD"?

    Are you planning on hooking it to an external 1080 screen?

    I can play the 1080p version of this on my 2.4 C2D iMac, no problem


    You should wait. 20 days. The refurbs will come back again.
  4. Nano2k macrumors regular

    Nov 6, 2009
    Arrandale will be faster, but how much in real world thats another story, battery time is as good at best or a little worse. So is that 10-20% extra performance more important than the extra 200$ in your pocket that is the question.
    Still have to hear from Arrandale chips with discrete graphics too, does it even exist? We'll know more tomorrow.
  5. jmazzamj macrumors regular

    Jun 11, 2009
    According to this Anandtech article


    (I'm sorry but I have an issue with Safari, it doesn't let me link any page), the 2.26 handles Photoshop pretty well, but upgrading to 4 GB RAM is recommended.
  6. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 4, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Theres not a long wait really. 3 weeks. I would wait if i were you.
  7. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

    Dec 18, 2009
    i say wait... see what the upgrades and pricres are really gonna be, then buy the old (current atm) mbp if you don't think its amazing and it will probably be a lot cheaper with it being old model [​IMG]

Share This Page