13" MBP Early 2011 SSD/Raid Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d00dl3s, Apr 13, 2015.

1. d00dl3s macrumors newbie

I just bought a 13" MBP Early 2011 it was a good deal. I have no budget to buy a new macbook even though i want to get the rMBP 2015. So i decided to just to get this one.

Would you recommend running 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs in Raid0?
    1x 250GB(System) and 1x 500GB(Storage)

It will be used for:
    Post-processing photos
    A little video editing(Premiere, AE..etc)

Specs:
    MBP 13" Early 2011
    Intel Core i7(Dual-Core) @ 2.7GHz
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1600MHz
    Intel HD Graphics 512MB

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

There may be issues associated with running SATA III drives in the optical bay of 2011 MBPs, though less so on 13" models, and some have no issues. Take a look here.

Great choice of RAM, by the way. :)

3. d00dl3s thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked and unfortunately this is what i got on the optibay. What Hard Drives/SSDs can i run on the optibay?

[​IMG]

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- So then you only have SATA II. And then you would probably be better off without a RAID setup.
    You can run any HDD/SSD you want to, but to be sure it doesn't cause problems, it must be a SATA II drive (not just backwards compatible, but actually SATA II). Of course you could try it with a SATA III drive - you might get lucky.

OWC sells hard drives that has had their firmware modified to run at SATA II specifically for these MBPs.

5. d00dl3s thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information. Just one more question, is it even worth it to run a SATA II SSD? Or should i just go ahead and get a hybrid drive?

And yes. Sorry if i didn't respond about my memory of choice earlier. But yes, i love corsair and i tried to search for a compatible corsair memory kit for my mbp and it happens to support 1600MHz of memory which some people says that it only supports 1333MHz.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Since you already have a fast SSD for your operating system and so on, I would say no, there isn't really a reason to get a second SSD if it's only SATA II (they might be hard to come by nowadays, too). Might as well get a hard drive for storage.
    If the choice were between a SATA II SSD and a hard drive as a boot drive, though, it would definitely be worth it to get the SSD.

- Yeah, those people are wrong. But you can't really blame them, since Apple's specifications say 8 GB 1333 is the maximum - which of course is nonsense. I run 16 GB Vengeance as well (see below), and they're excellent.

7. d00dl3s thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I will go ahead and order a hybrid drive. I already have the OWC Data Doubler ready.

-Yes. Corsair 16GB Kit made a difference on performance.

8. d00dl3s thread starter macrumors newbie

I just installed my OWC Data Doubler today and tried using my fujitsu 500GB Drive with it. Seems like it's causing some performance loss because the drive is probably old and slow.

So i'm gonna try and install another Samsung 850 EVO(Since it's already in transit) on the optibay and will post the results here.