13" mbp enough for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itstheo54, Sep 3, 2010.

1. itstheo54 macrumors newbie

All i do i surf the internet, do college work on the computer, listen to a lot of music, and check my e-mail. According to the charts, and the apple employees the 13" is all i need, unless i want a bigger screen which doesnt matter to me. Would I benefit from waiting for maybe an i3 processor for the 13" in the future or will the C2D be sufficient for me now?

2. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

A 13" base model is definitely fits your needs.

3. CTrav86 macrumors member

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Get a refurbished MacBook unless you like the look of the MBP over price savings.

5. itstheo54 thread starter macrumors newbie

i love the look of the mbp, and the backlight keyboard was a big plus for me im coming from a 3.5 year old hp thats slow as molasses, it had a 80 gb hd, 2gb memory and c2d @ 2.16 ghz, so i kinda wanted an upgrade to the pro

6. mas1091 macrumors newbie

7. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hey the macbook pro 13" will do everything you listed for the next 4 years at least, plus some light photo/video editing, light gaming, and just about anything else you can throw at it =D (by light i mean it does not require a mac pro tower) have you considered an ipad? it does all that just does not game the usual titles, cheaper, smaller, sleeker, with built in 3g and really affordable plans?

The pro is worth every dime, the aluminium finish is so crisp it would make any emo happy =D (you'll get that when the spend a few hours on the computer) and the SD card slot is amazingly fast, and yes ofc the backlit key board is breath taking!!!!! i am so happy with my new mbp words cannot describe!!!

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Any Mac computer built in the last few years will be able to service your needs :)

9. Pablo90 macrumors member

I do the same stuff, plus some amateur video/photo editing with the Adobe Suite CS5 and it all works fine. Trust me, do not wait. It's just a waste of time, and maybe money, if the price will raise...

EDIT: About the screen, once you have it and start using it, it's not that small... The other day I was at an Apple Center using a 15" and I thought it was a 13"...

10. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I Agree. You may want to check out refurb models.

11. rk25123 macrumors regular

The current 13" will be good for your needs. Keep in mind though that C2D is old tech (being discontinued) and that makes the 13" a lot overpriced right now. If you don't need it immediately and want to get the most out of your cash, I'd wait for the next refresh with new processors, which is coming no later than April 2011, but likely before.

12. mk1ap macrumors member

13" base MBP will be good for your needs. Maybe wait for the MB Air refresh which should be coming out soon.

13. vistadude macrumors 65816

It'll work fine, but there's lots of computers out there with faster processors and more ram which will last longer you may want to consider.

14. cookieronster macrumors member

Here's my two cents,

I was just like you, all I needed to do on the computer was surf the internet and check e-mails. I formerly owned a 2008 unibody macbook--which is drastically similar to the 13" pro. I liked the portability and also the sleek style. However, after owning it for about a year and a half, i decided i wanted the bigger screen. The 13" became a bit too small for me, I would use my friends' bigger macbooks and decided that I wanted to step it up. I now have a 15" i7 with antiglare screen. I really like the antiglare, and fell in love with the screen at the Apple Store, i just had to have it. I know that the i7 is overkill for just reading email and browsing, but that's the only model they carry in the store that has an HR-AG screen.

As for your situation, my guess is that you will love your 13". It will be perfect for what you need it for. In the future, you may upgrade to something higher up if you see fit. I believe that every Mac owner should own a 13" MBP at least one point in their lives. It is literally the most sturdy, lightweight, stunning laptop. Especially when it's mobile. It is perfect for a student, however once you get a mac, in my situation at least--you'll always want to upgrade.

15. itstheo54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i got the 2.4 ghz mbp 13" First mac ever and i absolutely love it, it is plenty for what i do, im a senior in college, so this will last me a few years, and when eventually hopefully in the summer get a real job and my own place i will most likely get an i mac desktop just for more power and whatnot, but the mbp is amazing, i got the free i pod the free printer, microsoft office, and apple care. i was thinking of getting the magic mouse, but there really isn't a point to it especially since i will be portable most of the time except at my dorm.