13" MBP Fan noise + heath

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrRoyksopp, Mar 29, 2011.

1. MrRoyksopp macrumors regular

Hello Everyone.
    I have the 2011 core i5 Macbook Pro, and overall my experience with it have been very satisfying, but there's just one thing that annoys me.
    - Are there any way, that I can get rid of the fan noise and heating, for example when I'm playing Football Manager 2011? When I play it, it gets very noisy, and it's quiet annoying.
    Does it help if I get a SSD harddrive? Or is there any other solution to this?

- Thanks.
    MrRoyksopp. :apple:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any activity that places high demands on the CPU/GPU, such as gaming, will increase temps and cause fans to spin faster. It's perfectly normal. There are dozens of threads about this.

3. MrRoyksopp thread starter macrumors regular

But if I play a game, shouldn't I then be worried for overheating or anything? Or is it usually under control?

4. GGJstudios, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's under control. If temps are sustained too high (around 105C or higher), your Mac will shut down to prevent damage. If it doesn't shut down, your temps are fine. The fans will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. Make sure you don't block the intake and exhaust vents at the rear of your MBP, near the hinge.

Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, among other things

High temps are perfectly normal, as searching the forum with Google will reveal:

Macbook Pro Heat Dissipation
    2010 Macbook Pro 17" i7 heat question
    Heat on my i7 Macbook Pro 15"
    Macbook overheating?
    My Macbook Pro reached 106 degrees !
    Macbook pro heat problem
    MacBook Pro Over Heat Issue
    Heat on my i7 Macbook Pro 15"
    Macbook pro Hot after 10.6.3. Update
    Macbook Pro too HOT!!!
    My Macbook Pro Runs Hot
    Macbook Pro gets really hot when running windows 7
    How hot should my macbook be getting?
    Macbook Boiling Hot!
    Hot 15" i5 MBP!
    MacBook Pro Overheating or That's What I Think It Is?
    Macbook pro temperature
    MacBook Pro heat causing pain in hands
    Alu Macbook vs. 13" Macbook pro: Heat & Battery Life
    Etc., etc., etc.

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

The fans increase because you are generating more heat with your activity. The fans spinning faster will help preserve the health of your computer, not the other way around.

6. propalitet macrumors member

Cooling system

The cooling system that apple uses in it's laptop is just not that effective with the new processors. This was mentioned by both German magazines that reviewed the units, that I read.
    Unfortunately there is no way around it. The suggestions of both of these magazines were pretty much to either buy or not buy depending how important the noise is for your work.
    By the way, they gave the 13" 80% mainly because of the cooling problems and the weaker graphic card.

I have a 13" i5, it does get hot fast, and the fan is pretty loud for a laptop in this class. Besides this and the weakish graphic card it's actually an excellent laptop. :eek:

7. MrRoyksopp thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, definatdly. Other than that, it's an amazing laptop, but thanks for the information!

8. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

9. matwue macrumors member

Exchanging the HDD with an SSD does not make the system run any cooler (or the fan any less audible), from my experience some SSDs may even run hotter than HDDs! That said, the temperature of the hard drive does not affect the fan speed much (if at all), since the storage is (like the battery) at a healthy distance from the CPU/GPU heat sink(s).

The 2010 Macbook Airs run cooler though, not because of their SSDs but because of their low voltage CPUs which generate less heat than a regular Core 2 Duo or even an i5/i7 processor.