13" MBP Fan Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jedivulcan, Nov 11, 2009.

1. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I recently completely wiped my MBP HDD after the CoolBook snafu updating to 10.6.2. I reset the pram/nvram and smc controller plenty of times.

I seem to be overly concerned about heat and fan speeds now because my MBP ran CoolBook since day one.

One thing I never noticed until now is when the MBP is hot and the fans are running. Is it normal for the fans to keep for a bit after the lid has closed and the Mac has entered standby mode?

Thanks

2. cababah macrumors 68000

They are still spinning as they reduce RPMs and don't just come to a halt. That is probably what you hear. They gradually slow down just like if you were to turn off a ceiling fan that was on high.

3. jedivulcan thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that's it. I just noticed the fans still running in my incase sleeve after I closed the lid and put it away. The next time I put my ear close to it.. it stopped.

4. cababah macrumors 68000

If you can, I would wait for the computer to cool down, not just in iStat CPU but the entire computer as extra heat will get trapped in the case. I always let the fans go back to normal operating speed and let the CPU drop to normal temps and feel the frame to make sure enough heat is dissipated before putting it in the case. I wouldn't like the thought of putting a computer that is still venting heat in such a small space..especially with the lid closed.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It takes some time for it to go to sleep, about 10-15 seconds. The fan will continue to spin during this time, because the computer is still running.

More info.