13" MBP: fan ramps up after waking from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lorkp, Aug 12, 2009.

1. lorkp macrumors member

When I wake my 13" MBP from sleep, the fan speed ramps up to about 2700 or so RPM even though the entire machine is cool. It eventually goes back to 2000 after a couple of minutes, but I find this curious. Has anyone else noticed this or know how to fix it?

2. Nautigar macrumors regular

Same here. I noticed it because I could suddenly hear the fan spinning.

This morning, I tried resetting the SMC to resolve the issue. It seemed to work, but I could only do a quick test before I went to work. I will report back after some more testing.

Maybe it will work for you as well.

3. Nautigar macrumors regular

I promised to report back: Resetting the SMC solved the problem for me.

4. Branskins macrumors 65816

Doesn't this make sense? It has to kick in to high gear to return back to normal operation. It might ramp up quickly to get the job done faster and to save battery life. Keep it at a consistent speed would mean the operation of turning back on would be dragged out longer and use more battery. Quickly spiking up usage allows this job to be done quicker, meaning your computer can go back to normal more quickly.

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like it makes sense to have the fan kick in as the computer tries to quickly get back to normal.

5. cababah macrumors 68000

Mine does this too...not all of the time but most of the time I wake the computer. I don't think it is a big deal, the fans drop back down fairly quickly to the stable 2,000rpms. When I wake it up it usually will go up to 2700rpms. Not that big of a deal to me, I think it is normal and it does it for a reason.

6. t3lly macrumors newbie

resolution: boot Snow Leo with the 64 bit kernel!