13" MBP For Business Major?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spmojo, Jun 13, 2010.

1. spmojo macrumors member

I recently just purchased my MBP for College this upcoming Fall. I Have Microsoft Office on it also. I am majoring in Finance and would like to know if the Computer suites me well? Thank You! :rolleyes:

2. jmdMac macrumors regular

You should find that out for yourself if you already have it...

But yes it will, it will be more than enough to handle everything you need for school. I can't see business majors having to use anything that could be considered a remotely intensive program/app. Also, the potability of the 13" will be nice for carrying around campus.
    Enjoy!

3. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

Well if I may make a suggestion.

I really don't see any point why you can't just bring a regular PC Laptop if all you are going to do is Business and work. (Most likely was what you implied)
    Apple products are usually the target for theft/robberies/burglaries and such and especially if people see you using it in class and walking around with it.

It is just my 2 cents but you can do whatever you like.

4. grahamcracker macrumors newbie

grahamcracker

Yeah that whole theft thing is probably the stupidest thing i've heard all day.

But the 13inch is a great computer but you will have to dual boot any time you really do some real work on Excel. For some reason unknown to me, macs do absolute insane stuff with excel, screw up formulas, mess up graphs, not apply forumlas to all fields, the list goes on...

So dual boot and you should be golden

5. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I wouldn't even bother with office. You can open any office file in iWork and you can export to any office file. AND office for mac is the single slowest and most frustrating suite to use. So what I am saying is get iWork

6. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

BTW nice computer, just got a 13 mbp as well (running iWork of course)

7. cys920622 macrumors member

Widows 7 runs naturally. I use it a lot to play games. You'll find that the trackpad has a bit of a different feel though, as well as the mouse - it will feel vastly different, unless you have the Microsoft Intellipoint driver installed on the mac side.

8. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

I'm starting my Economics Major, also this fall.

I plan on using MS Office 2008 (2011 later on) or iWork if Office 2008 sucks (havn't used it much yet).

Also i've set up a VMWare Fusion image of Windows 7, and installed Office 2010 beta (pretty nice) on that, so i can use that as a backup.

9. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

is suitable for u ;) Perhaps MacBook Air??? if you only on the web and office apps

PS: iWork FTW~ Take the most advantages of Apple~ USER FRIENDLY :D

10. JackHobbs macrumors regular

JackHobbs

I've got a 13" MBP 2.53 GHz. I run Office 2008 on it and its fine. I use spreadsheets a lot, including formulas, and I haven't had any problems. My mac is fast enough to run Photoshop and if it can run a resource hungry beast like that, most office applications should be fine. There are some programs I use which are windows only so I use VM Fusion to run Windows 7. That works well too.

As for the theft thing, vigilance is all. Macs may be more of a target but all laptops are a risk. IMHO most thieves are opportunists. Steal first then look what they've got later. Get good insurance if you are staying in any student accommodation and keep an eye on your stuff.:)