13 MBP from Windows 7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rtay, Apr 25, 2010.

1. rtay macrumors regular

I am thinking about buying a new MBP but i wanted to know whether it is worth it or not. My dell is only about 2 years old, but the trackpad is starting to go out and the hinges in the screen and starting to come off, so im definitely looking for the reliability of a mac.

If someone has used windows 7 and can compare the 2 OSs, that would be very helpful.

Is the 13 inch screen big enough, or do you think it should be bigger?

i dont care about the i5 or i7, i just do word processing, powerpoint, sometimes rip dvds, itunes, and surf the web. will the lowest model be fine for me?

Will bootcamp run fine on this processor? i really like win 7, so i cant see completely abandoning it. Thanks for any help.

2. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

What really matters are the tools (apps) you use more than the OS. If you aren't married to any Windows apps, then make the jump. I have a late 2009 13" MBP and it's great. It runs windows 7 under bootcamp and VMWare just fine.

3. rtay thread starter macrumors regular

everything i use is available on mac, word, evernote, itunes, chrome, and handbrake. only thing i will miss is the zune marketplace, but i bet that with windows phone 7 tied to it, there will be a mac app soon enough.

4. EasyJW macrumors member

I have used both os's and i honestly believe that if microsoft hadn't have had the monopoly with windows in the dark ages, apples would be dominant, the way it works is just so much nicer [​IMG] but back to your question, even the base macbook will be fine for your needs, so you can save £150+ by having a white macbook rather then an alu mbp

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

With each revision, windows is becoming more like OSX, which I find quite interesting. But I have both OSX and Win 7 ultimate on my machine, and mac is simply more polished and more enjoyable to use. Win 7 isn't bad, but with Mac, you just don't have to deal with a lot of the annoying bits of Windows, like viruses and the constant annoying windows update and security alerts, etc. If everything you use runs on Mac, definitely go for it, you won't regret it.

6. rtay thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thanks everyone, i think im gonna go for it. Im goin with the MBP cause the aluminum just looks so much better, but i looked at the mb too. Is upgrading the harddrive difficult? I cant see paying apple $100+ for 120 gb when i can get a 1.5 tb harddrive for $150.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

should be simple. a few screws and you're in. there's videos out there that will walk you through the steps. if not, check "Mroogle" for it :D

**I like win7's set up better than osx for some reason...lol. but i do enjoy osx's "no viruses" =D

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

upgrading the HD isn't quite as easy as it was in the first unibody MB/MBP, but just find a screwdriver small enough, and the drive should be in plain sight when you take the bottom off. I believe it will accommodate any 2.5" drive, although I am not sure if there are heat issues with the 12.5mm form factor drives (1TB or larger drives, and some 640GB as well)