13'' MBP grey screen of death!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jumbb, Oct 25, 2011.

1. jumbb, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

jumbb macrumors regular

Hi!
    I was using my computer this morning when it suddendly stopped working, i could move the cursor but couldn't open or close anything so i restarted it using the power button, when it was on, the same happened, i could move my cursor but i couldn't click on anything!
    I restarted it again and now all i get is to the initial white screen with the apple logo and a never-stopping turning wheel!
    I tried rebooting it with the MacOSX disc that came with my mac, it worked but i'm afraid if i'll lose anything after rebooting, since I already upgraded it to Lion...
    Any help will be appreciated!

2. jumbb thread starter macrumors regular

I also tried turning it on and holding CMD+ALT+P+R...still same white screen and mac logo...

3. jumbb thread starter macrumors regular

After leaving it for about 15 minutes, I can now see my wallpaper, the little colored ball and a note that I made with the notes app, I can't see the dock though, or anything else...

4. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

It sounds like a failing hard drive. Boot from the disk that came with your MBP and got to disk utilities. Click on Macintosh HD and run the diagnostics ie verify and repair permissions. The verify will let you know if the drive is failing.