13" MBP + GTX660Ti + HD7870 (Thunderbolt eGPU @ x2 2.0)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nando4, Mar 4, 2013.

1. nando4, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

nando4 macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

Some of you might be interested on a how-to-guide for installing a GTX660Ti or HD7870 as a Thunderbolt eGPU on a 2012 13" MBP under Windows 7 or 8. Full details including pics and performance benchmarking using external and internal LCD modes (NVidia Optimus/Lucidlogix Virtu) are at the following link:

13" MBP + GTX660Ti + HD7870 (TH05 @ x2 2.0) (Tech|Inferno)

Nando

2. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

Does this also apply to the 13" MBA 2012?

3. nando4, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

nando4 thread starter macrumors regular

We have a 2012 MBA Thunderbolt eGPU implementation as well at

Macbook Air 2012 - 8Gb + TH05 + gtx560 + eGPU Setup 1.x (Tech|Inferno)

Difference is it has the Thunderbolt controller attached to the southbridge (0:1c.*) rather than the northbridge (0:1.*). Works just as well as a 13" MBP.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Will you be able to to post a complete set of .bat files for all Mac configurations with Thunderbolt?

5. PhilPilsner macrumors newbie

I was actually excited at first.... until I read they recalled the part that was needed....

I was wondering if this was possible though. Looks like apple and intel set us back a few years with their lawyers. China has a new product to clone now.

6. Essenar macrumors 6502a

Too many people are trying to get money out of these projects so I stay away from them now. I was building an eGPU with a Lenovo E420 that was recommended by NotebookReview forums and I thought I would end up with something viable.

I found out I had to pay money through PayPal for a program to make it work and no one was willing to make a free version of what the program does, which basically amounts to remapping IRQ ports so you can use the PCI-Express lane for a GPU without getting a blue screen.

The kicker? The developer of the application doesn't give two craps about you once you pay for it. I paid for it and didn't get sent a download link that worked so I had to start spamming emails and forum messages until they FINALLY sent me a link. And they acted really smug about it like, "Oh we didn't get a payment from that email address so PROVE it to us".

And then once I finally did get the program, it didn't even work. I had a GTX 560 and I set it up, step by step based on the procedure given to me in the sticky of the forum. I spent hours setting it up and finally got it to display to my external monitor (which is actually supposed to be easier and much more straight forward than internal monitor) and whenever I did any GPU rendering, it would blue screen out and not work. I couldn't get 3dmark to run on it, a game to run on it. I did everything suggested (sleeping computer, turning on GPU before waking, etc) and the people I paid good money to didn't so much as even shrug at me.

So in the end I lost like $20 or something that I paid for a stupid program that doesn't work. Seriously there's $20 games at K-Mart that are worth the money more than egpu setup. And the worst part is, the few people that do get it working act as though their perfect set up completely invalidates any claims that the set up has issues for other people. "Well it works for me!" That's great but you have absolutely no business in a thread for someone who it does NOT work for and it not working for them is 100% true whether it works for you or not.

So I say, avoid EGPU set ups unless they're made by REAL manufacturing companies with a backed warranty and thousands of dollars of research. Not a bunch of amateur programmers who managed to Frankenstein a GPU and express card adapter together and are trying to charge people money for it.

7. Zodiac.mj macrumors member

Essenar, that's exactly the point. I won't use home made eGPU sets, becouse I can't afford spending time on it. I can pay 300$, 500$ or even 800$ for plug-and-play solution on the other hand.

8. PhilPilsner macrumors newbie

mmmm... what I would do for a plug and play external gpu over thunderbolt 2.

maybe we'll see it in a year or two. It would no doubt revolutionize gaming.