13" MBP hanging on shutdown/ restart

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by canada eh, Mar 24, 2010.

1. canada eh macrumors regular

whenever I use my macbook for some reason my MBP will hang on shut down when I use it for a while, and I have to do a hard shut down. but after I do the hard shut down I can restart it after that and it will be at the normal time.

Could it some how be related to my bell internet stick or extended time with out shutting down( 1-2 days on average)?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Shouldn't be a problem as some users on this forum don't shut down for weeks. I'd first try to repair permissions and go from there.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most likely, you have an app running that's having a hard time shutting down. When you restart, keep an eye on the Dock to see which app is the last one running. I've found that Mail occasionally is slow to shut down on mine, so I just close it before I restart and it works fine. You could try using Activity Monitor to track what's running, but it's possible the shutdown process would close AM before the troublesome app.

4. canada eh thread starter macrumors regular

ok, now that I think about it, that may be the problem, next time I shut down I will look at Activity Monitor and see whats running. and like you said it could be mail, because I do have that running constantly.

5. canada eh thread starter macrumors regular

ok, I closed all applications and shut down and it shut down after maybe 15 secs which is about normal. Thanks for the help!