13" MBP HDD Cable: 821-0814 vs. 922-9062

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 50thVert, May 3, 2011.

1. 50thVert macrumors regular

Hello all,

I've been having the typical beachball and freezing issues that plague some of us that have decided to put an SSD in our MacBook Pros. After reading that Apple had released a different part number for the HDD cable (922-9062) I decided to check mine and see if I had the newer one. I did not, it was 821-0814.

I ordered a new cable from iFixit with the PN of 922-9062 listed on their website and received a 821-0814 cable. iFixit customer service says Apple does not change their part numbers externally on the device and that I in fact have a 922-9062 HDD cable now.

Can anyone confirm/refute this? Has anyone seen a 13" MBP HDD cable with 922-9062 printed on it?

This is NOT a thread intended to bash iFixit. They have been very good to me and I will continue to give them my business. I'm just hoping they're wrong in this one instance and I have a shot at getting my MBP to play nice with my SSD. :(

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

821-0814 is not an Apple part number. I verified it. There are often part numbers listed on the cables that have no correlation to Apple's actual part numbers. My guess has always been that they're FoxConn part numbers.

3. mac jones macrumors 68040

My advise to you is just get rid of the drive. This cable swapping is pathetic, and is no guarantee of anything.

Ebay is your friend (well maybe not your 'friend',....)

4. 50thVert thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the confirmation Detrius!

Sucks these MBP's don't play very well with SSDs. :(

5. sovereign macrumors regular

sovereign

Has Apple made any changes to this cable to address the failure problem?

6. sovereign macrumors regular

sovereign

No one knows?

I have found a listing for new 922-9062 cable for $38. Is this the best I can do?

7. regtled macrumors newbie

sent my mid-2009 mbp to apple store for repair, just got it back, cable replaced has the 821-0814-A Foxconn on it, although on the authorisation it says item 922-9062, not sure if its worse than the 922-9062

----------

oh forgot to mention its the Regents street london apple store

8. op2003 macrumors newbie

Is the new cable working with your SSD?

9. l.a.rossmann, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Out of curiosity, what are the circumstances under which you guys are experiencing this cable fail? It never moves or flexes, it isn't wrapped around a hinge. I don't understand the high failure rate for the 821-0814-A as a non-moving part. We sell replacements cheaply at the moment. When they become scarce they go for over $50 on eBay.. it is nuts.

10. wedgeman macrumors newbie

The reason that MOST people have these drive cables fail is that the nut on the screwdriver causes it.... :D

Yes, it's operator error.

The PRIMARY cause is hot-swapping of the hard drive, without having first removed the battery and discharging the logic board.

Apple didn't design a bad cable. They simply didn't print a warning on the case to tell you that you could damage it by not first discharging the power grid and removing the battery from the logic board.

The correct procedure is to disconnect the battery (and ac adaptor of course), then discharge the board completely (by pressing the power-on button a few times). Then you can proceed to replace the harness.

[This is documented in the AST service documentation from Apple, but of course their preference is that you just blow up your computer and buy another, or fork over the money for them to do the job]

11. EarthJuice macrumors newbie

dirt and gunk inside the case

I've replaced two of these (I'm in IT), when you open the back case, there is all sorts of debris inside. That gets underneath the cable. When the person presses on the back of the case it presses the cable into the gunk, which damages the cable.

12. Ninjarambo macrumors newbie

821-0814-A with/without bracket?

Hey guys,

Googled the product-number and found this forum!

I have a broken HDD-cable to my macbook pro 13" 2009 and was wondering if I should buy a replacement with or without brackets.

Can't seem to understand what the difference is?

Thankful for your help!