13" MBP HDD Cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guidoz, Mar 7, 2014.

1. guidoz macrumors member

Hi all, I'm a new user from Italy having some troubles with my MBP and hope you can help.

I own a 13" mid-2012 2.9Ghz MBP that got replaced around Spetember 2013 after a long series of troubles (that don't seem related at all with current problems). As soon as I got my hands on the new MBP I installed the same SSD drive (Samsung 840 Pro) I had personally mounted on my previous one. No troubles of any sort for months, till today.

While I was working on the MBP it started slowing down all of a sudden and then it froze, and the only thing I could do at that point was to brutally shut it down and restart it. When it restarted it showed a blinking icon of a folder with a question mark on it, which I understood meaning it couldn't find any system disk.

At this point I tried to open it. Nothing seemed wrong inside except some dust. I removed the SSD from the bay, and mounted it externally via USB adapter and bang... it worked again. So it was not a SSD failure as I was thinking in the first place.

After backing up all my stuff and using the computer for 1 hour with the SSD mounted externally, I tried to put it back in place making sure the contacts, both on the SSD side and MoBo side, were well pushed in. It magically started... only to frozen up again within a few seconds after the boot. Tried again to unplug and replug the cable on both sides, blowed away all the dust and dirty, visually checked contacts... nothing. I had to mount it externally again to write this.

I really have no clue how such a thing could happen. The SSD had been in its place for months and I had never touched it anymore since mounting... what has happened today? I had just moved the MBP to another room, but I guess that's too normal to be considered a "motion shock"...

All my suspects went to the cable at this point and after googling I found out it's a very common problem (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2648100?start=0&tstart=0). I think my MBP is still covered by warranty (in EU warranty is 2 years), so I might get it fixed for free and quickly if it's just the cable, but I live on a small and remote island, so I don't have the opportunity to have it checked by apple guys immediately nor easily and so I was thinking to try and get this cable and change it on my own.

So, the questions are 2:
    1) Do you guys think it is a cable issue?
    2) Where can I find the cable? It has a product number or any code I can google for?

Thanks!
    Guido

PS: if this can be of nay use, I also modificed original configuration by adding the original HDD in a optibay, and 16Gb of Ram (crucial) instead of the original 8.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. I agree... it sounds like the cable is bad.

2. iFixit has the cable here. Looks like Apple part # 923-0104.

It could also be that the logic board is bad, but that is far less common.

3. guidoz thread starter macrumors member

thanks.. it doesn't look that cheap, plus it wuold take quite long to be shipped to Italy.... what a mess.

I'm very disappointed by Apple.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I Googled "Apple part # 923-0104" and found several other vendors and even eBay that sell that part. So maybe one of them would be more convenient for shipping for you.

I see some sellers ebay.it list the part. Check this.