13" MBP HDD Upgrade buying help...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spmiz12, Dec 4, 2010.

1. spmiz12 macrumors regular

I was thinking about getting Seagate Momentus XT, but after reading alot online, I have decided to hold back. I thought I would take a cheaper route just going with a 7200 drive ( to increase storage space, stock Apple drive ) either 500GB or 750GB, for now; then when SSD prices come down more, upgrade to one of those at the time.

I have read alot of good reviews about the Hitachi, Samsung and WD Black. I have had WD drives before, and have no experience with Hitachi or Samsung. I was wondering if you guys can give your opinions to help me make my decision......

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think Seagate is the only manufacturer that makes 2.5" 750GB 7200rpm drives. Personally, I would stick with WD or Seagate, they are the best in laptop drives IMO

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I've got the WD black, and have not had an issue with it, runs fast, quiet and is actually cooler than the stock drive I had.

4. spmiz12 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there only one model WD Black 500GB drive???

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not sure exactly what you're asking. There are varying capacities, and for each capacity there are two models. there is the BEKT version, which is what you want, and the BEJT version, which has its own motion sensor, which the computer doesn't like.

Assuming you want the 500GB version, you want the WD5000BEKT

6. spmiz12 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I appreciate your help..... My understanding is that drive has a 5 year warranty, correct?? Do you have a preforance on who you buy your drives through??

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I've said it here before... it really makes no difference what "brand" of drive you get if all the specs are equal. They all originate from the same Chinese prison labor camp.

Seagate, WD, Hitachi.... it makes no difference. There are only so many ways to build these things and one manufacturer has no more knowledge than the other.

I would attach more importance to whom I bought it from for warranty purposes. Two years ago I bought a couple of 500gb "no name" drives off of ebay for literally nothing. (One internal and the other external for TM backups). Both have performed flawlessly every day (as I would expect).

And personally, I can't tell the difference in 7200rpm vs. 5400 (other than the former using a tad bit more battery juice).

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, 5 years. If you're in US, take a look at NewEgg. I've noticed that it seems to be the most popular store among US members.

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I second this. Bought mine from newegg, definitely good deals and service.

10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

If you're looking to upgrade your MBP drive, I'd definite look at OWC (macsales.com). The have kits that come with an ext enclosure you can use to put your old drive to use, and all the tools you need to properly open up your laptop and swap the drives. Really affordable too.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

As a multi-platformist who's truly addicted to optimizing my various Mac & PC laptops, I've gone thru a lot of hard drives & SSD's. I've experienced stellar performance from Hitachi Travelstars, and the WD Black series when it comes to hard drives. I've used Newegg nearly exclusively for years, and experienced wonderful, fast & professional customer service whenever there's been a problem with any of my forty or so, transactions (very few times).

12. Wattser93 macrumors regular