13" MBP Heat issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tarasis, Dec 13, 2011.

1. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

My Mid 2009 13" MBP seems to be acting up, at present it is running really hot on the left side (palm rest on top and most underneath left side) with the CPU idling around 63°c with it not taking much for the CPU temp to hit 72° and have the fans working at 3000rpm (say 10-15% CPU usage).

Which is in stark contrast to two years ago (trying to find a more recent screen grab of iStat) where CPU temp was 42° at 7% usage and only got up to 67° with 25% CPU usage and the fan working away at 2300rpm.

I can get the CPU temp down to 47-49° idle (no apps open) but that's only by using the Medium fan speed control in iStat Pro (4100rpm) for 5+ minutes. After setting the fan back to default and comparing the other temps they are up a bit: Enclosure temps are all up about 4 degrees, Heatsink B is up 5 degrees (I've never got a reading off heat sink A), Northbridge is running 3° up too

I've tried resetting the SMC but that doesn't appear to have helped.

I have been in the case before, upgrading the Ram (to 8GB) and a new hard drive (5400rpm, 500gb Hitachi, currently 30° was 37° earlier) but they appear to work fine (indeed the hard drive has been in for 6 months now).

The only other oddity is that the battery intermittently claims it needs servicing (battery health down to 75%), it's currently at 86% health after 544 cycles (way not making the 1000 cycles that Apple claims the battery will stay above 80% charge). I did take it to the Genius Bar after the last time the warning came up, but by the time I got there it had vanished (though i have some screen grabs of it) and the battery & dock connector tested fine.

Any thoughts what could be causing this to run so much hotter than it used too??

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: