13" MBP Hinge Clicking Noise - Poll

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fujikon, Jun 22, 2010.

?

For 13" MBP owners, please choose one of the options below.

1. Yes, mine clicked but I had Apple fix it.

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. Yes, mine clicks and it eventually damaged the computer.

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Yes, mine clicks but have not had any issues with it, no need to send to Apple.

9 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. Yes, mine clicks but have not had any issues with it, might send to Apple in future.

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. No, mine does not click.

31 vote(s)
    56.4%
  1. Fujikon macrumors member

Hi everyone,

Reading around, I see that a few people have an issue with the unibody 13" MBP making a "clicking" noise when the lid is opened. The issue varies from a mild click to a loud click. Usually, once the click occurs, it does not repeat itself until after sometime. This poll is to help determine whether or not it's worth it to get this issue fixed by Apple, specifically if the clicking is not bothersome (read: not too loud).

2. Fujikon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for those who've replied so far. Hopefully more will chime in...

3. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

4. Fujikon thread starter macrumors member

I had thought it was a 13" specific issue. But if it's the same, I guess so. I do ask that you post a comment and say which of the options you've selected from the list. This way, those who would want to narrow the results down to a certain form factor can do so by going through the comments. Thanks!

5. xmaxonx macrumors newbie

I haven't had this problem with mine. *knock on wood* :cool:

6. calb macrumors 6502

If you're on about what I think you're on about, mine sounds like a sharp creak. It hasn't happened for a little while though, so I have no idea how regular (or not) it might be.

I'm not concerned in the slightest, but I do have AppleCare and will make use of it if the creak is a result of a build problem. In all likelihood it isn't.

7. Fujikon thread starter macrumors member

Interesting results so far. I was under the impression it was a more common issue.

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I'm having this issue on my aluminum MacBook (not pro). I still voted since it's the same thing, except the newer version was just re-branded.

Unfortunately, my Apple Care expired but it doesn't bother me that much. Also, it doesn't always happen, it's random.

9. lasoro70 macrumors newbie

No clicking sounds until recently

I bought my 13" MacBook Pro in November 2009. I've had no problems with the clicking sound until now (July 2010). This occurs only on the left side and only when I close or adjust the lid towards the keyboard very slowly. If I close or adjust the lid quickly, I don't have any sounds. The clicking sound seems to be coming from just to the left of the microphone, next to the power input plug. The clicking sound varies from being quite loud to very soft but is fairly consistent. Something is definitely rubbing inside as I can feel the vibrations with my finger when I adjust the screen.

When opening the lid away from the keyboard, I have no clicking sounds at all.

I bought the additional Apple Care thing so I have until November of 2012 to get this fixed. At this point, I'm living overseas for another 8 months so there's not a lot I can do until I get back to the States. So, until then, I'll ignore the clicks and just hope it doesn't functionally effect the screen. Usually, I don't adjust the screen too much other than when I first open the laptop. I've had no other problems with the computer.

Another factor that coincided with this clicking sound is the change in humidity. This week, the humidity shot up in Korea to astronomical proportions so I'm wondering if the weather has some kind of effect on the mechanical components of the hinge (plastic expansion?)

10. Beefy macrumors member

11. Poizhan macrumors newbie

I had same issue.

My MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (late 2009 w/ core 2 duo) just started randomly clicking during open/close at the hinge. I just took mine to the Apple store and the Genius tech said that they would have to replace the entire lcd screen assembly :eek: luckily it's still under warranty :D the best part is the screen lid had a scratch on it that bugged the crap out of me, and now it's gonna get replaced :cool:

12. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

The problem is two-fold:

- The cables that are housed inside of the black plastic cover sometimes shift and the clicking you're hearing is actually those cables "snapping" into place.
    - During major temp shifts (Winter to Spring, Fall to Winter), it may reappear or happen more frequently.

I had this problem last October. Took it to the Apple Store. They replaced the hinge (display assembly). Didn't have the problem again until April. it happened for a few days and then once the temperature stabilized, was gone. Hasn't happened since.

Hope this helps. You can always take to the Apple Store if it's under warranty. They'll check it out for you.

13. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Mine does that sometimes, should i worry about it?

14. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Mine clicked but I fixed it myself.

Take of the bottom case and move the plastic hinge so it is properly aligned. (Same gap on both sides)

Problem solved.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

No problems here. Hopefully I didn't jinx it by saying that....