13" MBP Hinge "Issue"

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I have a 13" MBP that I purchased in July 2009. When Im using it with the screen open and then when I go to move the screen to a different angle I hear a cracking type noise in the right hinge. Does anyone else have this issue or have heard of others having it?

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I have the same issue, I would take it to the Apple store they just replace it no questions asked really, I get my screen replaced (yes they have to replace the entire screen), and hopefully it will fix the issue.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I have the same issue, I would take it to the Apple store they just replace it no questions asked really, I get my screen replaced (yes they have to replace the entire screen), and hopefully it will fix the issue.

So is this what you did? If so did it fix the issue?

jamesraward

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
I have a 13" MBP that I purchased in July 2009. When Im using it with the screen open and then when I go to move the screen to a different angle I hear a cracking type noise in the right hinge. Does anyone else have this issue or have heard of others having it?
Definitely go to the apple store and say something about it, I believe it's a ribbon cable problem, which isn't good news as it can wear out. They'll sort it out - mine took about 5 days for 2 repairs.

This happened to mine, I took it there (it also had a problem with the trackpad where the click stopped working) and they replaced the entire top of the laptop, which was handy as I had an irritating dent on the top from (I'm assuming) the plug - bloody UK plugs ;)

Anyway, I had mine replaced, shiny new screen/lid and it fixed it totally.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Thanks guys Im going to take it in after the holidays.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I took mine in and they sent it off for a couple days. When I got it back, the sheet said that they adjusted something (the hinge I am assuming) but they didn't replace anything. I know this because I had a small scratch that is still in the same place. This was two months ago and the screen is just starting to do it again a little, but not near as much.

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
So is this what you did? If so did it fix the issue?
Yeah that's what I did, I took it in, they replaced the screen and bam it has been working flawlessly so far, at first I thought it was doing it again but there was a piece of tape they left on the display that was making the sound.