13" MBP hit 90C temp today...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cababah, Jun 17, 2009.

1. cababah macrumors 68000

My new 13" MBP has been pretty good about controlling the temperature except when I do extended video iChat sessions the computer heats up pretty fast. It has gotten high before (85-87C) but today while sharing video and doing video effects it hit 90C!!! iStat pro showed a fan speed of 2000rpm while it was supposedly at 90C. It cooled back down to about 50C once I ended the video chat session..is iStat not too accurate about reporting correct fan speeds because I would like to think my fans would kick above 2000rpm with a temp that high?

Anyway just wanted to share this experience and ask if it is normal.

Thanks for the help

2. Slogan macrumors member

MacBook Pros tend to run pretty hot. It's no surprise with what they've packed into the 13" that yours hit that temperature.

If you're worried about it, you can download a great little app called 'smc fan control' and slide the fan speeds up manually if you want your system to run cooler.

3. uberjason macrumors member

uberjason

I am seeing that as well. Multiple apps opened at once drove the temperature to 190F. Fan indicated that it was spinning at 2000rpm. My white macbook when it hits 170F the fans are at 5600rpm and can be heard very plainly. Concerned about this as well, but the MBP seems to dissipate the heat much faster than the plastic/poly macbook of yore.

4. tsa1 macrumors regular

using handbrake, my fans didnt turn on until it reached 100c!! then they got up to 4000rpms and it dropped for 80ish

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Your temps are fine.

There are several threads on the uMBP temps.

6. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the replies..do you guys notice temps climbing fast when doing extended video iChat sessions as well?

7. Smoothie macrumors 6502

I don't think it's a good idea for the fan to remain at idle speed until the temps are hitting 90 or 100.

8. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

the app slogan told you about works wonders. i have mine cranked when doing FCP sessions.

9. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I haven't hit that problem yet but now im worried..... never used ichat video for an extended period though.

what was your computer on top of?

10. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

it was on my lap but i had my legs far apart enough so air could get to the bottom

nobody else has done extended video iChat and noticed rapid cpu temp increases? hmm

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It's safe to go up to 105C on mobile Core2Duos, even for extended periods of time.
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAPR
    Above 105C, the processor will either throttle itself or make the computer shut down (instantly, losing any unsaved work).

It sounds like Apple is either pushing the temperature envelopes more on the new MBPs more than previous models, or they have some kind of defect (like too much thermal paste or a bad temperature sensor). It is strange that the fans aren't coming on sooner.

12. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Well it always seem that Apple has trouble getting the right number for the fans. That's why they always end up releasing SMC updates (mainly to their notebook line).

Here is an example of a VERY recent release: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/28/apple-releases-iwork-09-9-0-2-and-macbook-pro-smc-firmware-update-1-3/

oh and that update was for the late '08 models.

13. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Again, if you search, you will find many discussions on this.

The fans on the uMBP, when running the 9400, usually do not start until you hit about 90c. You will not hear them until they get up to about 3500 rpms. Apple likes quiet Macs, and so do I.

If you want to test your fans, go to a graphics intensive site and watch the temps and the fan speeds.

I like to use toolband.com

Attached Files:

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I was encoding the videos the other day and it was at 85ºC constantly and the fans were only at 2000 RPM. It cooled down by itself later on without my intervention.

15. tsa1 macrumors regular

the 13"mbp only has one fan right? because my istat pro is only showing one on there and so i fan control.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say something is definitely wrong if the temps are approaching 80c and the fans are stuck at 2,000rpms. When my temps rise beyond 70c the fans start ramping up, when they get into the 80s (rarely) the fans start really cranking.

I've never broached the 90s, and the intel chipset will shut down at 100c, so your flirting with danger if you're reaching the 90s (celsius).

Did you try resetting the SMC I'd also recommend getting a copy of smcFanControl to manually the fans.

17. Philflow macrumors 65816

Try undervolting with Coolbook. It can make a huge difference for CPU temps.

http://www.coolbook.se/

18. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

RECIPE:

1. Watch vids / Play games and heat MBP up to 90C
    2. Thinly slice fresh salmon
    3. Season with dill
    4. Place salmon on MBP
    5. Wrap both in tin foil
    6. Continue to play vids (close lid) maintaining min 90C temp
    7. Wait 30 mins
    8. Remove foil and squeeze fresh lemon
    9. Serve with salad

19. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

anything above 70c is degrading the life of the silicon,

someone should check the thermal paste on there 13" mbp...:p

20. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

does that apply to the GPU diode? my MBP is consistenly showing in the region of 67C in iStat Pro :eek:

21. jqc macrumors regular

I have noticed this as well. When video chatting it will reach around 80 and fans will not kick in. I used SMCFanControl to set the fans to 4000rpm during these sessions and the MBP would cool down and stay at 67-70C.

Running in the mid 70s is not too concerning to me as my old 15" 2.33 MBP would consisently run at these temps when video chatting. The fact that the fans dont kick in at these temps does.

Havent tried handbrake to encode yet but im sure ill be around the same. Again, my old MBP would hit around 80 but the fans would start revving up at that point.

22. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

try install fan control, and set:
    ~base speed to minimum
    ~lower threshold to 50°C
    ~upper threshold to 70°C

Then come back and tell us what the temps behave like. I think there may be an issue with the standard fan 'map' on the MBP

EDIT: heres the app http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137

23. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

heres a capture of my settings,

[​IMG]

Its on a 2.0 unibody macbook. the temp isnt getting any higher.

24. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I was running Windows and Crysis Warhead, and beat the whole game in one sitting. (12 hours) The fans were at their maximum speed for basically all that time, and the area above the keyboard was very hot, enough to feel the heat from almost 4 inches away. Is this okay? I propped the two feet of the computer up on some Legos to increase airflow, and snacked on Doritos. However, the computer never shut down and nothing else went wrong other then the excessive fan speeds. Is it okay?

25. celtikmind macrumors 6502

On a quality computer - should this really be necessary?

No. Never.

Again, quality?

My apologies if I sound off in bad way but I actually find it sad that you have to use third party programs to get a stable MacBook in all situations. At what point does the stability of OS X get moot if the hardware in runs on can't handle itself?

Thought (hoped) Apple had fixed the fan mapping on the new MacBooks and that the need for any third party stuff were going to be limited to the last gen.

My uMBP overheated quite a lot, got repaired and then I sold it right away when I got it back. Feel for you but Apple quality sure ain't no longer what it used to be.