13" MBP Keyboard Backlight

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GiggityGiggity, Nov 21, 2010.

1. GiggityGiggity macrumors newbie

Hello people of MacRumors, i have had a 13" Macbook pro for around a year now, and i never really noticed that it didnt have a backlight on the keyboard until my mom bought a 17" one (what a biter, amirite?) and it had the awesome backlight. I've tried researching this and i've downloaded labtick and it doesn't work. So what is the problem?

Edit: I've also never spilled anything on the keyboard or anywhere. It's been like this since purchase

2. Wattser93 macrumors regular

Press and hold FN (the little function key in the bottom left of your keyboard), then press F6 while holding FN, because I though that all the unibodies had a backlit keyboard, even the pre unibody models had the backlit keyboard if I remember right.
    The regular MacBook doesn't have a backlit keyboard, nor does the 2010 Air, but the MBP should.

3. GiggityGiggity thread starter macrumors newbie

4. itsxtian macrumors newbie

Your mom schooled you with a 17" MBP! I wonder if she'll even get to use all the features it gives.

Anyway, the F5 and F6 keys has a symbol on them that kind of resembles a sunrise or something. Usually this activates the backlit keyboard when in low light. But if your in a really bright environment, the sensor (which is right next to the webcam) will sense the brightness and the backlit keyboard are deactivated and can't be activated unless its in low light.
    It will show you this:
    http://oi56.tinypic.com/2regjts.jpg

I know all MacBook Pros come with the backlit keyboard. So if yours doesn't come with one, you should run it by an Apple store.

5. DewGuy1999, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Have you done/had done any upgrades on it like RAM or Hard Drive?

6. GiggityGiggity thread starter macrumors newbie

My f5 and f6 keys dont have that symbol LOL
    probably just a screw up since this is an engineering model. :p

And no, the hardware has not been modified at all.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Do you have the Illuminate Keyboard (or whatever it's called) Keyboard preference checked in System Preferences?
    Have you tried it in a completely dark room?
    Have you tried resetting the SMC? Here's how: :apple: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
    Have you done/had done any upgrades on it like RAM? Reason I ask is that there is a tiny cable for the keyboard backlighting that can get disconnected, here's a discussion on it:
    :apple: Apple.com > Support > Discussions > MacBook Pro (2008 and Later) > The MacBook Pro Display (2008 and Later) > 13" MacBook Pro Backlit Keyboard not working (even in the dark)

8. itsxtian macrumors newbie

What are the specs of your MacBook "pro" ?? Check the model identifier by going to the Apple logo on the top left corner and clicking About This Mac and going to More Info.

9. itsxtian macrumors newbie

OP just mentioned that their F5 and F6 keys don't have the Illuminated Keyboard symbols on them so I'm not sure their model even came with the feature?

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

But, all 13" MacBook Pros have keyboard backlighting.

11. itsxtian macrumors newbie

Exactly my thinking. Unless an Aluminum unibody model is being mistaken for a pro model? It's the only logical thing I can think of.

12. GiggityGiggity thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's definitely pro.

13. pyroza macrumors regular

14. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If it does not have the symbols on the F5 and F6 keys, the bezel around the screen should read MacBook, and is not a pro. The 2.0GHz MacBook was the only aluminum unibody model to not have keyboard backlighting. If you need further proof, check out system profiler, and your model identifier should read "MacBook 5,1"

15. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas