13" MBP making a loud noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taknocks, Sep 14, 2011.

1. taknocks macrumors newbie

The noise started last night and I'm guessing it's the HDD (not very hardware savvy). It sounds like it's spinning out of control. I thought my computer was about to explode a few times. I did all the disk and smart utility checks and there were no problems found. Everything seems to be working fine otherwise. Right now it's not too loud, but it'll randomly rev up. Here's a recording of it near its worst: Memo.mp3

I bought the computer last August so its upsetting that such an expensive piece of equipment is already breaking down. Unfortunately I don't have "AppleCare," (missed the one year mark by less than a month) so approximately how much would the Apple Store charge to fix this? Or better yet is there something I can do myself to try and fix the issue?

Thanks for any help.

2. Shandidy macrumors newbie

try to reset the smc, here is a link on how to reset it http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

3. taknocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but that didn't seem to help. I thought I was in the clear for a while today, but sure enough it started up again. Does anyone else have any other suggestions or answers to my original questions?