13" MBP on Craigslist

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lbro, Aug 21, 2010.

?

Which one should I buy?

1. buy brand new from Apple

83.3%
  2. buy one on Craigslist

8.3%
  3. other (please post suggestion)

8.3%
  1. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

I've been considering buying a MBP for some time now and I've been looking at the 13" unibody base model. I could either buy one brand new from the apple.ca store or I could buy a used one.

If I bought one from the apple store, I would get the education discount which would bring the cost down to $1,149 (all money in CAD) plus tax (12% on $1,149 is $137.88, which comes to a total of $1286.88). I would also get the iPod touch with it for free but I could sell that on Craigslist (would $200 for a brand new, unopened iPod touch be to high?). If I could sell it for $200 that would mean that the cost of the MBP would come out to be $1,086.88.

I also found an ad on craigslist offering a MBP, exactly the same as the one I'm looking at on the Apple store, for $950. Here is the ad:

He also posted three pictures:
    Open MBP Box.jpg
    MBP With Box.jpg
    MBP Box.jpg

What sort of reasonable offer could I make? $800?
    What sort of questions should I ask? Should I ask him how much he bought it for?

So, what should I do, should I get a brand new MBP, knowing that it hasn't been abused, or get the used one at a cheaper price?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

A) You won't get $200 for the iPod touch. There is a refresh coming which will probably be announced soon, and you just won't be able to command a premium when they can just go to the Apple Store and get it themselves.

As far as the MBP goes, same rules as above. $950 might be the obligitory high asking price, but this guy more than likely doesn't want to lose much more money on his purchase. Did he say "firm" anywhere? still if you can i'd just skip it and go straight to Apple. You can buy a refurbished MBP with the same specs from Apple for $1,019 (just looking at the US site) which will be just the same as a new one.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just get the new one. Buying used is always an extra hassle and it sounds weird that he's already selling it, meaning that it could be stolen for example.

4. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

I bought a sealed 2010 13 mbp on CL for 950. I wouldn't purchase opened though.

5. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

say what?

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

ie

7. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

^This. Lessen the hassle factor.

8. KirkL macrumors 6502

Ask him why he's selling such a new machine. I think it's stolen too.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Definitely buy from Apple. The little extra you'll spend will be worth it for the peace of mind. If you don't have enough, just save a little longer for it. You can probably sell the touch for 150 brand new on craigslist. Do it before the refresh though.

10. burton212 macrumors newbie

I just got the 13" refurb, and you cant tell the difference between a new one.

11. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Buy the refurb, no risk on that...

12. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

It's either stolen or the guy decided he didn't like it past the 14-day return timeframe. I would at least ask to look at it in a public place and do some tests on it to make sure it works fine. Ask him to bring the receipt, all materials and some DVD's to check the SuperDrive with.

Unless you are really comfortable doing bench tests I would buy new.

13. lbro thread starter macrumors 6502a

lbro

Alright here's an update,
    I decided to buy one brand new so I just ordered one. I am so excited!

14. Terminal.app macrumors 6502

Terminal.app

I've purchased from eBay before, but Craigslist...creeps me out...:eek:

15. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

um... if you pay any attention to what apple has done in the past is that when they come out with new ipods, their back-to-school offer ends. They are just trying to get rid of their stock of the current iPod touch.

16. MrCooperS macrumors member

If it's a local guy, ask him to meet at your local Apple store. Ask someone at Apple to check out the serial number for you (which I'm sure they don't mind doing) and see if it's stolen. Ask if he has a original receipt. If he doesn't even want to meet you up, then just pass and buy it at Apple.

17. ChrisLovesSaw macrumors newbie

Concerning the iPod Touch, if you buy a new MBP off the Apple Store you actually get a choice of the 8, 16, or 32 GB models ($100 - $200 for the latters). I got the 8 GB (free) and only got $120 for it, and I ALMOST got $150.

So you'll be selling the iPod for cheap, but it's money to use for the refresh coming up.

18. lbro thread starter macrumors 6502a

lbro

I got the 8GB also and I just posted an ad on craigslist today trying to sell it for $185 (in my area, you can buy one brand new for $200 at futureshop). I already got someone interested in buying it. Hopefully I can sell it for $150